X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11.9.02 and Poly

SEPTEMBER 11TH OBSERVANCE
    (10 September 2002, 10:26 | About) September 11th, 2001: We Remember In honour of the men and women who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City on September 11th, 2001, there will no news, database or other updates on Apolyton in observance of the solemn occasion tomorrow, Wednesday, September 11th, 2002.

Regular updates will resume on Thursday, September 12th, 2002. - DanQ
    No, this not spam or a repost of that news item. I do have several questions about this to the admins/mods.

1. First of all, will this affect any of the services in a visible way, except that there's no new news reports?

2. Is there going to be a reduced level of mod/admin presence? I don't ask this because of the fact that wannabe Coracles and Soviet Beasts might want to take the advantage to spam on Poly, but in the case we need assistance.

3. Third question. Are we expected to be the same ol' bastards like before or should we behave very gently and in a sensitive way, i.e. no "I hate USA" styled threads"?

4. Could we have a sticky and special memorial thread in the OTF for memorial posts and messages of condolence? Or perhaps we could have one memorial thread and one general talk thread? Otherwise we're going to have gazillions of 9/11 threads. I'm just trying to suggest something for making it easier for the mods and I would have easier to find the posts.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Re: 11.9.02 and Poly

Originally posted by Rasbelin
    2. Is there going to be a reduced level mod/admin presence? I don't ask this because of the fact that wannabe Coracles and Soviet Beasts might want to take the advantage to spam on Poly, but in the case we need assistance.
    No... we will be paying VERY close attention to the forums on that day.

3. Third question. Are we expected to be the same ol' bastards like before or should we behave very gently and in a sensitive way, i.e. no "I hate USA" styled threads"?
    As always, people are welcome to their opinions and can discuss them in a reasonable way. However, I will be quick with ban button on people who demonstrate hate/flaming or other forms of bashing.

Also, I will be limiting the number of threads on the topic.
    While we always do that... as with any important event to the posters, we usually allow multiple threads if the idea or thread topic are unique and not just a repeat of other threads.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

2. I agree with Rasby, I wouldn't be surprised of some idiots took the oppurtunity.

3. I hope there's no official policy on that one. We'll just have to use our common sense.

4. Agree. Good idea.

Nice that you're asking this.
      Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

-Homer Simpson

Comment

First of all, thanks, Ming, for clearing up that you're going to be monitoring closely as there's a real risk that Apolytoners wan't to have cheap fun by creating a DL and bashing all Americans with it; no matter what their real opinion is.

Originally posted by Pavlov
        2. I agree with Rasby, I wouldn't be surprised of some idiots took the oppurtunity.
        There's always those opportunists that try whenever there's a possibility, because I was getting abit concerned because it almost looked like there would be a very low level mod/admin presence.
        3. I hope there's no official policy on that one. We'll just have to use our common sense.
        That's what I actually meant too.
        Nice that you're asking this.
        I just noticed the news bulletin by Dan and I was just writing a small note to FACF about 11.9. The real source must have been the fact that many game ladders are having a vacation this week due to 11.9.
        As USA prepares for the memorial events on 11th September (tomorrow, GMT), I want to urge you to behave very respectful on the BBS tomorrow, due to the fact that it's a national day of mourning in USA. This means I hope you'll use your wits and post solely in accordance to the FACF rules and your personal understanding of the realities.

Any questions can be asked by e-mail or PM.

Thanks for your attention and co-operation!

Rasbey
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Yes, Hopefully people will follow common sense. I remember last year when it happened, I saw it here first, and thought it was a euro prank. It wasn't until I tried to verify it and couldn't connect to any news sites that it dawned on me that it was real. People were very respectful that day, and I expect the same for tomorrow.

RAH
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

1. the site will be fully functional

the rest have been answered, but here's the short answer again: CIVilized behaviour, common sense

thank you
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              I remember last year when it happened, I saw it here first, and thought it was a euro prank.
              You really think we could sink that low for a troll.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                You really think we could sink that low for a troll.
                I had been at work for an hour or so, so had not heard any outside news. I had a few minutes break and checked out Apolyton and saw the top thread in the OT was Plane crashes into WTC. It was so unbelievable at the time that I assumed it was just another Onion article or other prank story that were very prevelant back then. That's why I immediately looked for verification. I wanted to decry the originator as a lowlife scum for such a tasteless troll. When every news web site was unreachable, the truth slowly creaped into my brain. For the next few hours, I had the most up to date information thanks to all the posters at Apolyton. Until they rolled in the TVs onto the floor, I had info before anybody else.

RAH
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Interesting, rah. Anyway, I'm going to compile a summary of the most interesting threads from that day, 11.9.01 (or as in US: 9.11.01). I'm still abit unsure if any Apolytoners were hurt or even dead in those 3 attacks. So I'll try to focus on that too.

Comment

Rasbelin, i'm afraid we dont have the OT threads of that period
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Oh, well, just my bad luck as usual. True, the OT archive starts at 14.11.2001. I guess I just have to leave that idea then.

Comment

Yes, Hopefully people will follow common sense. I remember last year when it happened, I saw it here first...

I was at work at the time (about 3pm over here) when someone who was browsing the news said that a plane crashed into the WTC. We immediately started to browse for more news (CNN, NYT) but everything was down. Apolyton was our main source for about two hours with people posting pictures and things... Big up Apolyton
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

Re: 11.9.02 and Poly

Originally posted by Rasbelin

No, this not spam or a repost of that news item. I do have several questions about this to the admins/mods.

1. First of all, will this affect any of the services in a visible way, except that there's no new news reports?

2. Is there going to be a reduced level of mod/admin presence? I don't ask this because of the fact that wannabe Coracles and Soviet Beasts might want to take the advantage to spam on Poly, but in the case we need assistance.

4. Could we have a sticky and special memorial thread in the OTF for memorial posts and messages of condolence? Or perhaps we could have one memorial thread and one general talk thread? Otherwise we're going to have gazillions of 9/11 threads. I'm just trying to suggest something for making it easier for the mods and I would have easier to find the posts.
                          re: #1 -- only news and related items (e.g. database updates) are affected.

--------------
                          Dan; Apolyton CS
                          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Amazing tidbit of useless 'Poly lore. I changed my flag to the American one for tomorrow (since I don't plan to participate in the OT love-in, I felt it'd be a nice gesture). Anyway, guess what come poppin' up before you can say "dibertesque"? Yup - you guessed it: the murricans-only pop-up offer! So, fellow Euro's, if you've been dying to find out what you're missing, swap your flag!
                            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

9-11-01 was what got me to use an avatar... my old WTC one... and then this one later

I checked apolyton the day after the attacks (on a remote computer )to check on my net-friends and am glad that all were safe...

Apolyton always was quick.

Rasbelin- UberKrux's dad died in the attacks.
                              As for the others... I only know of one other NewYorker- "New Yorker" and he stopped posting a few months before the troubles.
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X