Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with "Registered: January 1970" ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with "Registered: January 1970" ??

It seems to happen with people with high postcounts...

I only did one thing wrong today ... I got out of bed
    "Damnit, is it possible to spell medievel right?" -SilverDragon

herr_ren@gmx.net

Back in the "old" days, the software didn't keep track of your registration date. On Feb 14, 1999 new software was used that did. People with the January 1970 or December 1969 designation are people that registered before that date... The dates shown are the default dates in the software package for people that don't have a registration date.

The only exception I can think of is DanQ, one of the owners of the site. He went in and manually changed his to read 1/08/1998
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If they can be changed why don't you change yours back to some date in the Ming dynasty?

Comment

My guess is that the vBulletin software doesn't support dates prior to 1969, except birthdays.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Ras is right... I though really wonder, Ming, why don't you change it 26/06/98...
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            Ras is right... I though really wonder, Ming, why don't you change it 26/06/98...
            First... many of us were members of the two individual sites long before the merger.

Second... some people joined after that date but before Feb 14, 1999.

Third... it's not my call to make. It's up to DanQ and MarkG.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Why change it to 1998 or 1999 when you can have 1969/1970.

Actually I like the fact that a lot of the old timers have all the same date. So I'd keep this date even if offered to change it to the real date.

Rich
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It also makes you look more like a real net veteran when you have been around here for over 30 years.
                "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Yeah, Rah was one of the guys that came here when UNIX was just born .
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: What's the deal with "Registered: January 1970" ??

Originally posted by Ren

It seems to happen with people with high postcounts...

This should be in the FAQ.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

True. It is asked frequently.
                      The answer could even go on to explain why the 1st of January 1970 is the dawn of time, and why some people were registered before the dawn of time.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Warvoid has a 1998 date, IIRC- or perhaps it was War4Ever or DarthVeda... I'm not sure- but more people than Dan have 1998 dates
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                          It also makes you look more like a real net veteran when you have been around here for over 30 years.
                          And being registered several years before you were born.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

My parents believed in the importance of early exposure to computers.
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                              Indeed, indeed...

Comment

Working...
                              X