news in a moment
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Now if they just would get it right this time...

/me dons an asbestos flying suit
        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

$LE_comment =~ s/they/someone else/g;
          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

hmm

so Apoc can finely stop trying to guess..

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by moomin
              $LE_comment =~ s/they/someone else/g;
              /me senses a healthy amount of cynicism (and that somebody has noticed my avatar) *
              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Errr...what is X Com?
                Empire growing,
                Pleasures flowing,
                Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Errr...what is X Com?

*recovers*

It's a turn based combat game... eh, like the combat system in Fallout. You have a team of soldiers, and you are in charge of them. The team is X-Com, the eXtraterrestrial COMbat force. Your mission is to intercept UFOs with jet planes and later on with UFOs of your own, and then attack the wreckages or when they have landed. Also there are terror missions inside cities where you will have to rescue civilians. You can research new equipment and weapons and reverse engineer stuff captured from the aliens. Excellent game. I've played UFO Defence (fairly easy, slightly buggy though) and Terror from the Deep (horribly difficult). There's a third X-Com of that sort too, and then there are flight sims with the title X-Com, that take place in the same universe... unless I'm entirely mistaken.
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

The X-Com games had a wonderful atmosphere- you could cut the tension with a knife as your assault teams edged into occupied buildings, ducking, covering eachy other, just knowing that something horrible would be lurking behind that doorway....

The games were great. Too great to be sat on. The fact that Firaxis have bought the rights doesn't fill me with optimism about seeing any new X-Com games within the next few years. It would be far easier (and lucrative) to slip out a barely warmed up Civ 4 than take a sideways step into a game that's slipping from memory.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Hope of a new version is much better than the game completely slipping from memory.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Mark, if Firaxis does a new XCom game, would this site cover it?
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

X-Com: UFO and X-Com: Apocalypse both rocked, though the learning curve for the latter was rather steep. I look forward to any additions to the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            hmm

so Apoc can finely stop trying to guess..

Jon Miller
                            It is sad it took this long for my name to be mentioned. I have to post my web site for this game now.
                            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

We were all thinking of you though.

Comment

Working...
                              X