• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wardell On Revenue From Websites

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Donations are fairly popular because the site in question doesn't actually have to offer anything specifically in return. It appeals to the generosity of the users.

Gee, where have we heard that suggestion before?
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

well the Kuro5hin.org example he posted didnt sound very good to me...

Comment

But no-one said you had to publish the Apolyton finances to receive donations sucessfully.
        With an upfront statement explicitly covering what the donator gets for their donation (ie: nothing, or no ads for x days/weeks, or whatever), the worst that could really happen would be that no-one donates.

And in that case, you would be in the same position financially as you are now.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

if someone gets something for his donation, he's not a donator anymore

Comment

That's called a sale -- unless you're offering something with no cash value per se -- like maybe an on-site status symbol of some sort. Possible examples would be certain avatars, post-count changes, etc. Not that I'm suggesting anything so onerous...

BTW, the Wardell article is an easy read and right on target. Simplified and slightly overstated IMHO but definitely accurate at its core.

Many here would benefit by understanding such things.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              if someone gets something for his donation, he's not a donator anymore
              Which is covered by the first suggestion of what they get - nothing.
              Regardless, my point still stands.

Comment

Are donations enable here?
                If so, then link? or old fanshion snail mail address?
                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

No, which is what my entire point was.

Comment

Mark, have you ever explored MetaReward?

You could make a construction that we sign up for various things, that you get money for. We in return can get some minor things, like an "@apolyton.net"-email redirect, or custom color title.

Comment

Working...
                    X