Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Deal With the Pop-up Ad ASSAULT?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Deal With the Pop-up Ad ASSAULT?!?!

When I came here today, I got "assaulted" by no less than five pop-up ads in a row. As soon as I closed one, a second popped up and this process repeated five or so times. Then, to add insult to injury, I was somehow automatically thrown back to my homepage.

Is this the small type we should have read before signing on to this one-popup-ad-every-six-hours (*good for the first three months) style?

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

I do not get any. Your computor may be infected with an advertising trogen like "searchligh" (which is the one your case sounds like). You may want to get an adware/spyware buster program (free) ar lavasoft.com.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Lefty:

Hmm ... OK. I'll take a look at what lavasoft.com has. Hopefully something that works on a Mac. Thanks.

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Lefty:

It appears that lavasoft.com is some sort of educational site with ties to Japan. What's up with that?

Gatekeeper

Comment

lavasoft.de not lavasoft.com

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

SD:

Ah, much better. Unfortunately, they appear to not have any options for a Macintosh. Fortunately, the pop-up ad flurry only happened at 'Poly, once so far. Maybe in six or so hours it'll show up again.

In the meantime, I'll mosey on over to a Mac site and see what they've got, just to be sure.

Gatekeeper

Comment

There's an easy and very working cure to your problem. Mozilla. One version for MacOS 8-9 and for MacOS X.

Mozilla is the not-for-profit behind the lightning fast Firefox browser. We put people over profit to give everyone more power online.
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I get massive numbers of pop-ups, but only on campus.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                  lavasoft.de not lavasoft.com

http://www.lavasoft.de
                  oops, sorry.
                  "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

you're telling me that you visited a single apolyton page, a single time, and got 5 pop-ups?
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I have had 2 before but never 5 for the same single apolyton page
                      The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Still sounds like the searchlight advertising trojen to me. Sometime this one will also chage the tool bars on your browser.

Comment

Markos, Lefty, et al.:

Well, it hasn't happened except for that single time ... which is why I was surprised by it and, voila!, this topic appeared.

The only thing I did was click the "close window" icon in the upper left-hand corner of the pop-up window (on a Mac, at any rate). As soon as I did that, another pop-up would be born. This continued for four or five times before sending me back to my homepage.

Is it possible the advertiser had code built-in to the pop-up that would automatically bring another window up if the other was closed before completely loading or something?

Gatekeeper

Comment

The only thing I did was click the "close window" icon in the upper left-hand corner of the pop-up window (on a Mac, at any rate). As soon as I did that, another pop-up would be born. This continued for four or five times before sending me back to my homepage.

Is it possible the advertiser had code built-in to the pop-up that would automatically bring another window up if the other was closed before completely loading or something?
                            well that sounds quite possible yes. we definately dont have any code to create 5 pop-ups.
                            we mace a call to a javascript on our ad provider's server. if they make a change or if they put up an ad that has extra code to do something like that, that's beyond our reach

we are in the process of arranging an additional provider of pop-up ads. if these kind of incidents continue we'll probably just switch totally to them...
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
                              I get massive numbers of pop-ups, but only on campus.
                              Someone's been surfing at some xxx-sites.
                              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Working...
                              X