PNG Avatars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNG Avatars

Are there any plans for the enabling of PNG avatars? My latest one takes up 7.67 kB as a GIF and 3.53 kB as a PNG.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Well, not everyone's browser supports PNG.

Damn this pandering to those idiots who still insist on using Mosaic.
    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Hehe, my Fireworks' PNG's are always at least a 100 times larger, with all the layers and things...

Seriously, I think it's a good idea
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

Hueij, your inside is out and your outside is in?

Comment

Actually, Netscape 4.x is the one at fault.

Opera and Mozilla both support PNG fully; MSIE manages as long as you don't try to do too much with transparency.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo

Actually, Netscape 4.x is the one at fault.

Opera and Mozilla both support PNG fully; MSIE manages as long as you don't try to do too much with transparency.
            For, maybe the first time, I can say, "Damn MSIE"
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

i thought that PNGs were a bloated file type? at least they are for me when i convert jpegs to PNGs

Comment

Leo, when I first saw this thread I thought that you were after Papua New Guinea style avatars, much like the one modeled by former Australian PM Paul Keating here:

(this picture played a significant role in his defeat in the 1996 election )
                'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

i thought that PNGs were a bloated file type? at least they are for me when i convert jpegs to PNGs

On the upside, they are lossless and patent-free.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                    PNG is designed to replace gifs. Images such as pics will always be smaller as a jpeg because of the way their files are setup, meanwhile smaller images with less color will be smaller with a PNG/gif.

For more info: http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/FAQ/standards.html
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                      These two are different beasts. JPEG is a "lossy" compression, meaning that you lose information when converting an image into JPEG. PNG was primarily developed to replace GIF, which uses a compression algorithm which patent is held by Unisys.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Since I am not even qualified for a custom avatar, there is no hope for me having a PNG avatar. That's 500 post limit is too high, it would take me another decade to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonsinger
                          That's 500 post limit is too high, it would take me another decade to get there.
                          They used to have a time limit where if you were a member for a certain amount of time you would get a custom avatar. I never have used one, so I wouldn't know if that is still the case or when they got rid of it.

Comment

Nope, they got rid of the 1 year rule, so it's just 500 posts required now.

Comment

if you complain about the lack of the on year limit long enough you'll get your 500 posts

Comment

Working...
                              X