Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occasionally I don't get the opportunity to look at all the threads or all the forums (that I want to) during a viewing session.

New posts since your last visit are shown by a red envelope. Is there a way to give the forums a manual input of the last time you visited, so that you can see all new threads/posts since that time. I know it could be possible to just show thread from previous x days, but I find using the red envelopes a far easier tool.

Or alternatively, if don't view a red thread during your visit, it remains red on your next visit.

So anyone know if its possible? Anyone else appreciate such a feature if poss?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

I would like this - I hate it when I get on but a short time later I'm interrupted by something, and then when I come back most all of the envelopes are yellow.

Comment

Re: New posts

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
      Or alternatively, if don't view a red thread during your visit, it remains red on your next visit.

/me wants this too.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Whining mortals, you should instead use a photogrphic memory to keep track of that which has been view.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Bad lefty!

I'll agree here... it is strange to me that the red envelopes mean unread yet when you come back they're yellow and you still haven't read them.
          I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
            Whining mortals, you should instead use a photogrphic memory to keep track of that which has been view.
            I have a photographic memory, just that I have myopia and images comes out blurred when I get my memory developed.

Comment

Sounds logical if you`re active in many different threads and I think you veterans are engaged in about the half of all threads here you are endangered to loose the line. So this little technological helper would be nice. Our brains have so much to do they are thankful for every help they get.
              Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

I agree.
                The threads should remain red unless you view them.
                That way you will know for sure which threads you ahve visited and which you havent.
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Re: New posts

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

So anyone know if its possible? Anyone else appreciate such a feature if poss?

Yeah, it's possible...it happens with me all the time. I visit a forum, visit a half-hour later and the threads I haven't read are still marked by red envelopes.

I have cookies set and everything. Do I have a defective account?
                  "The self is a relation that relates itself to itself, or is the relation's relating itself to itself in the relation; the self is not the relation but is the relation relating itself to itself." -Kierkegaard, at one of his less lucid moments

Tremolando shows rage! Sforzando shows excitement! C Minor means gravity!–D Minor means terror!...Round and round like donkeys at a grindstone! -Amadeus

Comment

It's erratic. Sometimes I'll log on for five minutes, log off, and when I come back later everything has been tagged as "read." Other times I'll log on for several hours, and when I come back later everything that was tagged "unread" when I initially logged on is still "unread" (even those threads that I actually read). I never thought anything of it, blaming the problems on the fact that I kept switching between different computers with different firewalls and different cookie filters.
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I think each time you log on you get a new cookie about your time of log on. vBB compares this time with the time of the last post in all the threads. If your time is newer than the last post in a thread it will be marked as "read."

Therefore if you have been on for hours your cookie doesn't change.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

But wouldn't it be better to set a cookie when you post something in a thread and when you return to this thread the cookie will be renewed and only than it will be marked as read.
                        Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          I think each time you log on you get a new cookie about your time of log on. vBB compares this time with the time of the last post in all the threads. If your time is newer than the last post in a thread it will be marked as "read."
                          No, because individual thread icons change.

Comment

instead of one "mark all forums read"-button, there should be "mark this forum read"-button for every single forum.
                            My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

UR,

Information of your last visit is not stored by cookies AFAICT. I use different computers to access Poly, and the time of last visit is always known, regardless of which computer I was last using.

Comment

Working...
                              X