APOLYTON needs a BIGGER house!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APOLYTON needs a BIGGER house!

These last two weeks I can hardly ever log on or post to the forums because it keeps going to the screen: "Too many users logged on, please try again in a few minutes". Is there anything we can do to help build some room additions to Poly's house?

(It's really annoying when you just typed an intricate reply and you lose everything you typed because there were too many people on the forum already)

Besides adding my whine that the problem is annoying, I can give you a tip of always copying your reply to the Clipboard before posting.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

it has happened a lot recently. perhaps 21k is a bit too big for the servers right now ?
      B♭3

Comment

it just needs a better system administrator
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Markos:

Is it true that SETTLER doesn't provide any tech service?

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

We are renting a dedicated server. this means that the company from which we have rented is only obliged for the well begin of it's hardware and it's net connection. support is offered on basic things, not a full technical support

Therefore, the only time something was done by the company staff on the server the last 3.5 months was when a manual reboot was needed. The rest(for better or worse) was all Dan and me.
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Yeesh, I got that message several times this morning while trying to get here, and there were only 180 people on the forums...

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
                Yeesh, I got that message several times this morning while trying to get here, and there were only 180 people on the forums...
                Yeah, that's sorta at the root of my concern.

First, I'm not complaining about Apolyton, Apolyton is the unquestioned crown jewel of Civ sites. What I am concerned with, is if we are having problems, what can we do to correct them? Seeing as PTW is going to cause a demand for customization, shouldn't we expect more hits after it's release (with multiplayer, people will probably want more units/scenarios and leader graphics as those will be more accesible with the supposed new options with PTW)

I'm not any good with programming, but if Apoly ever needs any 3d graphics, etc I'd be more than happy to help, and I'm sure there are some Apoly members that could help with other stuff.

Again, don't mean to whine, I just see a potential problem down the road....

Comment

Needs a better sysadmin? Maybe it just needs a simple change to the settings of the database. Something like increasing the number of possible concurrent connections and shortening the timeout. That should at least take care of the "stuck" connections Markos told about. Then again, it would also bloat the error logs and cause other funky problems...
                  This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

TRue, I was very upset by this.

It's one thing when the forum is off line. Then i know it's bad and i wait for a day.

But today was very bad.

It seemed ok, but every second post (and my posts tend to be VERY long) got eaten up.

So i got very very frustrated in the last two days.

My posts were disappearing in scores.

At one time I almost made a decision to leave this place for good.

Seriously, one thing is unreachable, another thing is when the service plays pranks on you.

Highly irritating.

Comment

Sorry if i come off like a jerk from my post, but it was very very irritating.

i understand however that you're all humans and the servers make errors too

if there are seirous problems, i'd suggest shutting downt he site and fixing them. because otherwise, we are "battling" the site forums, which leaves us more angry, that if we knew that the site is off now, but will be 100% later.

Comment

Maybe if there is a way to set a time out for our guests
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Or maybe if you can write a bot to kill all the stuck connections
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I say we contact Bill Gates of Geek civilization and demand he give up the msn server for Apolyton's sole use or risk war with the Great Bananas.......

........after all our words are backed with nuclear weapons.

Comment

(It's really annoying when you just typed an intricate reply and you lose everything you typed because there were too many people on the forum already)

Switch to Opera and you'll never have that problem. It doesn't forget stuff when you press back.
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X