This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ethelred ban and posting PMs.

Question...is it specifically prohibited in the rules to post a PM? I did a cursory look and didn't see it. Seems unfair to ban someone for something that isn't states as against the rules (stealth laws?)

Second, does this mean, even if he forwards the PM to the moderators once he returns, it won't be dealt with? I for one found its contents quite disturbing...
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Fire away! Share the contents of that PM with us, fellow Apolytoners!

And if Markos or any of the other mods threatens to ask Ming to give you a free holiday in Mingapulco, we'll bribe them if that's what it takes to save you from that trip.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Note: I'm not saying I agree with him posting the PM, I don't. I fully understand the reasonings behind such a prohibition. I just think that the prohibition should be made known in the rules section before it can be a bannable offense.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Oh, yes, the actual question. Hmmm... I'm not sure what laws should be implicated on Poly, but as I guess in your case, the federal laws in USA and the law of the state of New York. A PM on Poly can be compared to personal correspondace like e-mail when it's assumed only to be received by one person and it can be seen as a personal message. AFAIK (at least here in Finland) publishing your own correspondance is fully legal, so if the law is the same where you live, then; as I already said, fire away and publish it.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

That what I just mention is to be taken in consideartion if the terms and conditions of Poly membership doesn't mention this dilemma, unless the law of course has something say.

Comment

We don't allow the Posting of PM's... first, they are "PRIVATE MESSAGES"... and second, it is just so easy to say that somebody sent you one... use the quote tag, and post whatever you want.

Normally, a warning "might" have been in order, and a deletion of the thread. But in this case. HE had been warned earlier today to lay off Chris, because he had attacked him in a thread that Chris wasn't even posting in. He agreed to lay off... and that's why he got the one week vacation.

Chris is also up for a restriction for using the PM system to send threats to another member. That decision will be made after I talk to Chris and listen to his side.

IT IS AGAINST THE RULES TO USE THE PM SYSTEM HERE TO THREATEN FELLOW MEMBERS!

I hope this help explain things
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ming, no problemo...as I said, I agree with your rationale. I would just recommend adding it to the faq so there isn't any "Well, the rules don't say that..." backtalk.

And thanks for the answer to the 2nd question as well.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

(edited)

RAH

Sorry, didn't see that ming had cross posted, please ignore my ramblings.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Thanks for explaining that to us, Ming!

Has Chris and others been using PM's for extortion? Any large sums of cash? Anyway, it's redicilous that certain Apolytoners are so childish that they even have to threaten each other if they don't post. IMO, that's almost alarming.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                    AFAIK (at least here in Finland) publishing your own correspondance is fully legal, so if the law is the same where you live, then; as I already said, fire away and publish it.
                    It is? Well that doesn't change much, I have always considered it as a matter of personal integrity not to publish any PMs, emails or letters sent to me, not to mention showing them to a third party.
                    Google only informed me of a third party reading the correspondance of two other parties, not the right of the receiver/sender.
                    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Kassi,

the law's pretext isn't always so simple, but a good rule of thumb AFAIK and IMHO is to ask all partners for their permission, before publishing the correspondance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                        But in this case. HE had been warned earlier today to lay off Chris, because he had attacked him in a thread that Chris wasn't even posting in. He agreed to lay off... and that's why he got the one week vacation.
                        Hmmmm... (and you are going to love this one)...
                        It was "Ecthelion" I had warned this morning to lay off... not "Ethelred"... I made "an assumption" when I saw the new thread... and it was a bad assumption. I didn't bother to check my records, because I can honestly say, I just thought it was a continuation of the flame war in the morning.

MY MISTAKE...

So while I still think Ethelred should get a 24 hour hand slap... it was indeed my mistake... so he is released as of now.

But this doesn't let Chris off the hook!
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

For a moment I was afraid your conclusion would be I get banned instead of Ethelred

I'll change my handle to make things easier for the administration if you pay me 2,000 posts. Deal?

Comment

Ect,

you'd better be nice and also stop using me as your laughing stock. Beware! You might get 24 hours more in that case. Just warning you. If nothing like that happens anymore, I'm not going to remain hostile to you.

Comment

poncey bull crap like that sure won't help your case, Ras

whatwhatwhaaat?

aaaaaaaaahhhhahahahahahahaha

(who does that guy think he is?)

Comment

Working...
                              X