Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why So Few Ultra Users?

Everyone:

According to what I can see, there are only 26 of us using the Ultra-Default forum display and a few dozen more using the other Ultra styles. The vast majority — 10,515 or so — are still using the Default forum display. Are those of us who are "cloaked" not displayed in the forum styles users list?

Insofar as I can tell, Ultra is a very good display selection. I get a pop-up ad once every six hours or so and that's it. No more waiting for ad servers to download their banner ads. Maybe I'm sounding a bit too "rah-rah" here, but this Ultra choice ranks right up there with the "Quick Reply" and "Country Flags" additions that Dan and Markos have made at 'Poly.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

I suppose not many people know about it. Plus although there may be 20000+ user registered, how many are DLs and how many actually come back to the site to post? How many actually come by the Apolyton/Community forum? How many actually notice threads marked "top" (I usually miss it)?
    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
    Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
    "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

I don't like pop-ups. I can ignore banners easily enough.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

You are forgetting that there are multiple ultra settings. I counted 81. That is not bad considering that half of Apolyton members have never switched past the default setting. Not to mention those that hav switched to a different style and then stopped posting. But I agree that is a shame that more people haven't switched over to help pay for Apolyton.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Ultra-Light-Special rules

Comment

Everyone:

Heh. I guess it's their loss then. But, yes, I can see why folks don't like pop-up ads. But they're not bad here, what with one every six hours or so. Now if it were multiple pop-up ads everytime you opened a new window or went to a different part of the site, then I'd switch back to the Default site view.

Let's see ... so far I've contributed 1/10th of a cent towards 'Poly's bank account today. Is that what they get per pop-up ad?

Gatekeeper
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Used to be Ultra, but then I realized I want to see all the stupid banners Markos puts up.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'm ultra, but I might change just to see Mark's banners...
                I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I want a Default-Heavy setting.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

If I see one pop up browsing through Apolyton, then the terrorists have already won.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

I use ultra special because banners suck, although there have been pretty funny homemade ones recently

Comment

Perhaps Stefu and the other one should consider a career as professional banner maker.
                        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Geez ... does Markos know he might be cutting his own financial throat by putting up all these awesome home-made banner ads? Everyone will want to see them, and then there will be no pop-ups and no 1/10th of a cent income per pop-up ...

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                            Everyone will want to see them, and then there will be no pop-ups and no 1/10th of a cent income per pop-up ...
                            using rough numbers, if 1 person buy something from the store it is as if 1000 people saw a pop-up
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Markos, I think you need to get into marketing. When you can come up with banners that people switch their settings just to see, you know that you've got something good going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X