Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 000 characters limit per message??

Hi,
    recieved the other day while submitting a message to apolyton forums a popup stating that my message has to be less than 20 000 characters.
    (Is this the cind of communist regim that wants to limit our freedom of speed, or? )

Now to the question:
    Is this limit a Anolyton administrative desicion or a featrure of vBulletin software?
    Just curious...

Both, I believe. You can set whatever the limit is in the vbulletin control panel, but I believe there has to be some sort of limit.

Comment

we live for every kind of chance we can get to limit your free speech. even in the number of characters!
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Had not realized the country flag thing. So I posted something about it to Markos. No need for it now. Can delete if you would like to.
        Last edited by tniem; July 16, 2002, 11:12.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I think it's been around for quite a while...I've run into it once or twice.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Just split over two posts. If that isn't enough to complete your message, just publish it in paperback.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Hmmm, can this be made forum-specific?
              For instance, in AC-Fiction (and Civ3-Stories?) the limit could be 50k (the longest post I've written was around that and I had to cut it to fit two posts).
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

If you are writing that much, you deserve +4 or 5 to your post count.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Yes, I've run into this limit in dozens of times in the past, it can be very annoying. Lately I've been using a more spammy post style to avoid this problem (<b></b>), which seems to be working. Especially when using HTML, which can require a lot of characters to post little text, you run into the limit quickly. But when posting rankings or overviews in general 20,000 characters is not much (FAQs, reference lists, (parts of) text files in Creation forums, content descriptions of mods/scenarios, Expansion Pack Civs lists , etc).

Unfortuantely, I've complained about this many times before, but to no avail. I guess the owners simply prefer you to spam
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Kass has a point. In the fiction forums it can be a slight problem especially with some of us who tend to write longer posts.
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                      If you are writing that much, you deserve +4 or 5 to your post count.

Forget it! Forget it!
                      (Nah, if I want PC I'll spam the Discussion threads )
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I also run into this limit sometimes. Mostly when using HTML-formatting of the posts, but also some other times.
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                        X