• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkG
    here's my prediction

- PTW
    - sequel of Pirates or Colonization
    - Sid's Latest Crazy Yet Amazing Idea <SUP><FONT SIZE=1>TM</FONT></SUP>
    - Civ IV

i dont give much chances for a smac 2 as it would narrow their target group. i actually give more chances for a "civ3: alpha centauri" expansion pack
    If they do a sequel of Pirates or Colonization, wouldn't Colonization be more likely? They have two teams. One is helping Sid with whatever he is up to and the other has made a TBS and its sequel (Civ III and PTW) to high aclaim and sales (while my feelings are so so). Any way it would seem that they would be more suited to make another TBS and so Colonization would be more likely than coming up with a whole new game and all the required skills with that genre.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

What a coincidence! We are currently testing a SMAC compatibility update which should resolve issues with Win2000 and Windows XP.

Dan
      God Bless you!!! Dan. Do you know the due date?

-J.B.-
      Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Whenever we feel it's ready, but it's in beta now, so hopefully very soon.

Dan
        Dan Magaha
        Firaxis Games, Inc.
        --------------------------

Comment

Thank you so much. Did you make your homepage with Linux?
          Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
            Whenever we feel it's ready, but it's in beta now, so hopefully very soon.

Dan
            Are there going to be any changes, or is it just a compatibility thing?

Comment

The focus is on resolving any compatibility issues (read: fatals and such) with Win2K and XP. If other things get tuned up and fixed in the process, so much the better, but as a rule we're not looking to change the way the game plays if possible.

Dan
              Dan Magaha
              Firaxis Games, Inc.
              --------------------------

Comment

It's nice to see that you're still supporting the game. I dusted it off a short while ago, and discovered that it's still fun and challenging to play. I would like to make one request though.

Since Alien Crossfire is no longer supported by EA, could you possibly make it available as abandon ware? I picked up SMAC last year under the Classic CDs line, but I can't find Crossfire anywhere, much to my dismay.

Comment

I dont think Dan can make that decision, youd probably have to talk to EA about that. I doubt they will do it, they can always release games in the cheapo bin or in bargain packs. I bought Colonization for 2 bucks along with RR tycoon 1 and 2 other strategy games.
                  "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

My version of Alpha Centauri was a bargain pack. I picked it up at the supermarket in the cheapo bin. But they didn't include Crossfire, so that kind of tells me EA has no intention of ever releasing it again. And since they obviously don't care about it anymore, it probably wouldn't be difficult for Firaxis to get permission to make it available.

If they're still supporting the game, it only seems reasonable that they make an effort to do so completely. And the effort would be much appreciated by people like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                      My version of Alpha Centauri was a bargain pack. I picked it up at the supermarket in the cheapo bin. But they didn't include Crossfire, so that kind of tells me EA has no intention of ever releasing it again. And since they obviously don't care about it anymore, it probably wouldn't be difficult for Firaxis to get permission to make it available.
                      I would think if Firaxis was going to that trouble to get back the rights to Crossfire that they would ask to sell the game at their website or something for $5 or something. That way they could get a little more money without that going to the publisher.
                      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Perhaps they will do a proper civ 3
                        The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
                          Perhaps they will do a proper civ 3
                          You think 3d will accomplish that?

Comment

Nothing else they have tried has.
                            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

This is excellent news, and I can't wait for the patch. SMAC is my favourite of all the Civ games.

And I have just bought SMACX
                              Diderot was right!
                              Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
                              Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

I got bored of Civ 3 pretty quickly. It doesn't have the depth of SMAC. No SE choices, just choose a government. No design workshop.

Those 2 things make SMAC that much more customizable and enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                                X