• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Firaxis game to be 3D?

Well, they are hiring 3D programmers.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

thing is, one of the things i like about civ games is that they don't have huge graphical requirements - i wonder what Firaxis are planning...
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

There was a rumour that they were thinking about a remake of Pirates. That was one of Sid's first games, many years ago now, and rather cool for it's time. It could certainly have a use for 3D graphics during the fight scenes, and a few other areas as well.

I hope that's what they have in mind, I spent many hours playing that game. It would be nice to see it redone.

Comment

Could be that they are going to make civ4 in 3d thereby dumbing it down to the lowest common denometer, bolloxing it up forever.
          The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
            thing is, one of the things i like about civ games is that they don't have huge graphical requirements - i wonder what Firaxis are planning...
            I doubt there next game will be a Civ game. Sid hates doing sequels. He has never himself designed one. He will not make Civ IV or SMAC II. That does not mean a team at Firaxis will not, just that Sid won't. So Sid is probably making something new. After all, SimGolf has meant little support and I don't think there will be an expansion or anything, so he is making a new game in my opinion.

Meanwhile, a new TBS might be looming. But not until the Civ 3 team is finished with PTW. At that point they may make SMAC 2 or Civ IV. But not until after PTW and maybe not until they work on something else for a while.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Sid has always been driven to develop new ideas. He likes to be unique

Comment

Well, I'm happy to see Firaxis is addressing a weak point that's becoming serious and hurting their future development.

I have no idea if Sid will revamp Dino idea, remake Pirates or planning The Civs, a clone of The Sims in Civilization background but I hope they'll do a good, state of the art product (and I don't think they did it with the last Civ, you know my opinion ).
                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

here's my prediction

- PTW
                  - sequel of Pirates or Colonization
                  - Sid's Latest Crazy Yet Amazing Idea <SUP><FONT SIZE=1>TM</FONT></SUP>
                  - Civ IV

i dont give much chances for a smac 2 as it would narrow their target group. i actually give more chances for a "civ3: alpha centauri" expansion pack
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I don't expect SMAC 2 for a while, simply because MOO3 is on the horizon.

Would really like to see Pirates2 or Colonization2 providing Firaxis doesn't eliminate a lot of the classic features like they did in Civ3.

Comment

I would like to see a patch for SMAC that would allow it to run under Windows 2000 pro.

-J.B.-
                      Naval Imperia Designer

Comment

I would love to see another version of Pirates.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Buloch
                          I would like to see a patch for SMAC that would allow it to run under Windows 2000 pro.

-J.B.-
                          What a coincidence! We are currently testing a SMAC compatibility update which should resolve issues with Win2000 and Windows XP.

Dan
                          Dan Magaha
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.
                          --------------------------

Comment

Dannyyyyyyyy. Make sure they spend more time on game content than making the thing look good in 3d.
                            And you may want to teach them all how to dance too...

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                              I would love to see another version of Pirates.
                              Ditto. I really enjoyed playing that game.

Comment

Working...
                              X