Interview with Sid, also on PCFormat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Sid, also on PCFormat

Just got round to loading the CD rom on the same magazine that brought Sids fav web sites.. and noticed an interview with Sid .. some interesting stuff here, especially regards to his attitude to the suggestions he's got .. I wonder who the "PEOPLE" are he's refering to ??

I'll put the text of this interview below, and attempt to attach the .zip file, which i created from the CD rom .. which has the pictures etc also.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sid Meier Interview

As the add-on pack, Civ III: The Play World has been announced, we took the opportunity to catch up with Sid Meier and find out his thoughts on the game.
    PCF: What happened to multiplay in Civ III?

Sid: We had hoped to have that in the original version, but we really want to do it right. We learned from Alpha Centauri and Civ II that we can't just take the game as it stands and replace the computer AI with other players and call that a multiplayer version... Our goal is to make multiplayer Civ III where the player never has to wait, the player is never at a point where there is nothing to do, and we have some pretty creative solutions to that problem. Hopefully before too long we'll be able to finish that.

PCF: Are there any add-ons planned for Civ III?

Sid: We're learning a lot about what people are interested in doing with the enhancement tools, map creation, scenario creation, changing the rules, mods... We're working on providing better and better tools to allow people to do that. Also there are gameplay ideas people have come up with that we thought were really strong, that we want to incorporate in the game.

PCF: What are your thoughts on the way the current gaming scene just reuses the same old ideas?

Sid: It does feel like we're ready for a new genre. Every year or two there's something new that comes out - you know, there were shooters, then there was real time strategy, and that kind of gave us something to look forward to. I'm not sure what the next thing will be, but I'm sure that something will come along. The Sims was interesting: I'm not sure that it's going to create a new genre, but it certainly was an innovative idea.

PCF: Is there going to be a Civ IV?

Sid: Every idea we thought would improve the game we put into Civ III. At the moment we can't imagine what Civ IV would have that we haven't already put into Civ III, but as time goes on and the community grows, anything is possible in the future. Historically, every five or six years there's been a new version of Civilization.

PCF: What makes a good games developer?

Sid: All of us at Firaxis are game players as well as game designers, so we are fundamentally trying to create games that we like to play. Part of our philosophy of creating a game is to be sure that we're constantly playing the game, testing it, balancing it. Much of our development time is spent playing the game, talking about how it feels.

PCF: What game do you most wish you had invented?

Sid: Tetris! It's like the perfect game. [Laughs] I could have done that! If I'd only thought of it.
    Attached Files
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

PCF: What game do you most wish you had invented?

Sid: Tetris! It's like the perfect game. [Laughs] I could have done that! If I'd only thought of it.

this goes in our quotes database in the next update
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: Interview with Sid, also on PCFormat

Originally posted by The Viceroy
      The Sims was interesting [...]it certainly was an innovative idea.
      Those sound like polite euphemisms for 'It sucked' to me...
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Re: Re: Interview with Sid, also on PCFormat

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Hehe.. I was most impressed with the execution. The Sims 1.0 was fabulous.
        ...tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up. Marlowe
        The revolution is not only televised, but 40% off. T.
        You SCROOOOOOOED it up, Bobby Terry!! Walkin Dude

Comment

Re: Re: Interview with Sid, also on PCFormat

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
          yeap, that's why simgolf didnt have any connection with the sims...
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I've never played SimGolf.

Is it good?

Comment

SimGolf RULES, I golf IRL, and I'll tell you, Sim Golf is waaay easier
              First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
              Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

He He Tetris. I think the sims is good. I dont see why not to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Master
                  I think the sims is good. I dont see why not to like it.
                  Nor did I ... for the first hour I played it.

Seriously, though, although I didn't like the game it is great to see original game concepts getting popular support.
                  So many games these days are sequels (many of them very little different from the original, or a dozen other games in the genre.)
                  At least The Sims was something new.

Like Sid said, it was 'interesting' and 'innovative'.

Comment

And hard to get a hold on. it took me infinite time to figure the Sims out.

yeah, infinite
                    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

sometimes the sims go nuts for no reason. Makes no sense.

Comment

The sims are good as long as you dont want to get too high in job because then you need way too many friends and taking care for all them and maintaining your hapiness and all that stuff then becomes tedious work.

I always hated the concept of having friends so that you can advance.

The next stupid thing is that talking with your friends doesnt up your fun bar. I always have lots of fun when talking with my friends IRL.
                        I guess Playing Guitar alone is way less fun than talking with your friends.
                        But the game models it contrary.

Comment

Yeah, trying to get high-up jobs is just routine work. I hate routines!

My favorite pass time for the Sims (and my only use for it) would be to get a decent job that would let me buy just about anything i needed without having too much...

Then i do that for most of the neighborhood.

Then i get families that are REALLY messed up. Like, i purposefully make families that will be the town enemies, and then i force people to have three way love relationships... but that kind of perversion can only be fun for so long.
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Sid: Every idea we thought would improve the game we put into Civ III. At the moment we can't imagine what Civ IV would have…

AAAAaaaaaahhhh! [quaking with fear]
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                            X