Censor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Censor Question

There was a question about a crackdown on people getting around the auto-censor in the OT today. Now I forget which thread it was and who was asking. I was going to ask as well because I hadn't seen this done in a long time, if ever, and I have used the ! for a letter from time to time in the past. The response was the usual "operators of the site want this" and I have no problem with that.

Now this brings me to the real question. I was looking at the "quotes while you wait" and noticed language I can't reproduce here without being given a warning. Now I assume the operators of the site wanted that "quotes while you wait" feature, so why the policy of sanctioned swearing, and censoring swearing?
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Are you alleging hypocrisy? Because from what I understand, the site owners use a third-party database for the quotes.

Comment

GV...
      I usually make mention of it whenever I see it. Sometimes via PM, or sometimes directly in the thread.
      My standard response is to "respect the wishes of the owners of this site"
      However, I can't and don't read every post...

And Anunikoba's answer is correct.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Third party database, eh.

Well I just find it odd that they go to the trouble of the auto-censor, getting Ming to warn people, etc. Then don't seem to care about other content.

I am not really complaining, I just found it odd, and I am a bit bored
        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

we use the standard, classic, installed in thousands of system, fortune cookie unix program that has a big database. i hope you didnt expect us to search 60,000 lines for something offensive. it WOULD help us though if you mentioned which quote you found offensive
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

To a Californian, the basic difference between the people and the pigeons
            in New York is that the pigeons don't **** on each other.
            -- From "East vs. West: The War Between the Coasts

Does this help, Markos?

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Of course, it was censored when I type it!

Comment

Tuberski, was **** in the above quote supposed to be ****, ****, ****, or ****?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The third one, **** of course.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Oh, well then, that one is offensive.

Comment

I didn't find it offensive. I found it logically inconsistant

Comment

double psot
                        CSPA

Comment

what ever **** is supposed to be, I guess the only ones with a reason to be offended by that are New Yorkers
                          CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            Tuberski, was **** in the above quote supposed to be ****, ****, ****, or ****?
                            If you can't figure it out, I ain't tellin'.

Comment

i don't believe it was ****
                              I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X