Markos, forum style question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markos, forum style question

Something quite weird I've noticed today.

I was browsing Apolyton from:

Pentium 4 1.5 GHz, 256 MB RAM, Windows 2000, IE 5. Resolution 1024x768. On the main forum page I saw those thingies that show the time last posts in the forum was made, and also saw by whom was it made: like 07-06-02 at 13:18 by MarkG.

From another computer, though, Windows XP, IE6, 800x600, the thing has magically disappeared, only the time is shown again.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

the style is set in your user preferences but also in a cookied stored in your computer

but the cookie can be lost or you might have changed settings for a little while or anything like that and you got a different style....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I use Default Civ 3 on my home PC with Windows XP, and it was the same there. Let me check...

Comment

Right, I got Default-Civ3 now, and should see the names, but I will attach a pic of what I see in fact.

There it was Default-Civ3, too, but showed the names (convinient!). Can this be related to screen resolutions?

Look here:
        Attached Files

Comment

Behaves bad, is it visible now?
          Attached Files

Comment

go to the front forum page (http://apolyton.net/forums) and see what choice the drop-down list is set on

the screenshot looks like the default-special-civ3 style

you can reset your style settings cookie from the options page

Comment

The dropdown says Default-Civ3. And that's what my options in the profile say, and yes, I have done the cookie reset. If you look at the Admin Panel, you'll see it says Default-Civ3, too. It's definately not Special, as I don't get popups other than redirect ones.

Comment

i dont know, i just switched to default-civ3 and i see names on the last post column just fine....

Comment

What's your resolution, and does the same happen to you under IE?

Note - I've never seen the names. I just was working from that P4 PC today and actually realised that there is such a feauture.

I see names in the last column only when already in a certain forum, where this shows the person to last post in a certain thread.

Really no clues?

Comment

on ie 5.5
                    Attached Files

Comment

Weird... the last thing... your screen seems like 1024x768 to me, while I'm running in 800x600. What do you see if you switch to 800x600?

Really weird, but I'm at least happy to confuse you .

Comment

If the window isn't maximized for me (@ 1024x768) I get the same result. I've always assumed that the forum somehow gets the windowsize before deciding how to write the things out.
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I changed the resolution of my monitor from 1280x1024 to 800x600 and had the same effect. I use Default-Special-Civ3 style. Looking at the source code, I found for each forum the following line, that explains the behaviour:

if (winW > 790) document.write ("by <a href='member.php?s=&action=getinfo&find=lastposter &forumid=17'><b>Spiffor</b></a>");

So the name of the last poster will only be mentioned if the window size is bigger than 790.

[Edit: the actual line in the code is of course html and gets automatically changed when displayed]
                          Last edited by Lucilla; June 7, 2002, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucilla
                            I changed the resolution of my monitor from 1280x1024 to 800x600 and had the same effect. I use Default-Special-Civ3 style. Looking at the source code, I found for each forum the following line, that explains the behaviour:

<!--
                            if (winW > 790) document.write ("by <a href='member.php?s=&action=getinfo&find=lastposter &forumid=17'><b>Spiffor</b></a>");
                            -->

So the name of the last poster will only be mentioned if the window size is bigger than 790.
                            It helps if you removes the comments:

if (winW > 790) document.write ("by &lt;a href='member.php?s=&action=getinfo&find=lastposter &forumid=17'>&lt;b>Spiffor&lt;/b>&lt;/a>");

That line also eplains why I, while we were at the slow server could resize the page on the load and get the lastposters in the bottom of the page.
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

sorry, wrong post

Comment

Working...
                              X