Search Letter Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Letter Limit

Why does the search function have a minimum of 4 letters to search? In an age of acronyms, this is really fustrating, like my search for EU-USA threads here at 'Poly, since I doubt that few threads ever contain the words European Union, North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, etc.
    Is there a way to bypass this, or should I just be content with *****ing?
    "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

Likewise, searching for the Alpha Centauri "Bug List" caused slight problems...
    The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
    Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
    All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
    "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Originally posted by Chowlett
      Likewise, searching for the Alpha Centauri "Bug List" caused slight problems...
      Rather than putting a limit on letters, it would be better to have a list of standard words like "no", "yes", "why", "but" that are not included in the search.

Comment

Yes, its a hassle.

Twice now I've been prohibited by this limit.

Comment

I think the limit is necessary to stop the server from overloading itself. And we all don't want that...
          But it is annoying.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Stick a * at the end, and you can search for a TLA (three-letter acronym)
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
            X