Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should non-gamers be second class citizens at Poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should non-gamers be second class citizens at Poly?

Markos and Dan often comments on how this is a gamesite first and foremost.

But it seems that a lot of the traffic is in the Off Topic. And even in the other forums, a lot of the fun is intereacting socially and not really 100% game related.

Should non-gamers be second class citizens? I mean, I'm pretty sick of Civ2, but I like the OT. And wrt to other games, it's pretty much the business aspects that interest me far more than strategies for playing.

I guess I like having the game site as a front end to give the community some direction and to draw people in. But the end result is more fun, than the specific game stuff...

(I was going to try to pad this out a little more and turn it into a column subject...but I couldn't make it long enough...anyway...this is a serious subject for discussion...oh yeah...+1!)

the Civ MPers are the 2nd class citizens, OTers have to be third class
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

How can the Oters be second class when they have no class to begin with?

Coming to a game site when you don't play games is lame.
      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

I came hear when I was a gamer. (1 game...Civ).

And why should it just be a game site? The OT actually has some pretty good discussion. Better than CivFanatics...

Comment

Obviously most of the people that come here are gamers. But I despise the "people" that aren´t gamers. Not just on Apolyton. I think we should round up all the non-gamers in the world and put them in prison camps. Then we can throw left-overs to them and occasionally poke them with sharp sticks through the barbed wire.
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

The term "second class" does not really apply here. This site is built, maintained and frequented by gamers for gamers. Non-gamers are welcome to visit the site as often as they wish, and the Off-Topic forum is a perfect avenue for non-gaming discussions with gamers and non-gamers alike. Sometimes predominately non-gamers will discuss gaming matters, and certainly the reverse is true.

Will we go out of our way to make non-gamers welcome by offering additional services than the Off-Topic forum that cater primarily to non-gaming interests (and the chat room could be used for this purpose as well, not that that is what it is intended for)? The answer is no. However, will we go out of our way to make non-gamers unwelcome? Absolutely not.

--------------------
            Dan; Apolyton CS
            PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I think we should round up all the non-gamers in the world and put them in prison camps. Then we can throw left-overs to them and occasionally poke them with sharp sticks through the barbed wire.

Absolutely not.

We could still do this just to GP though?

There isn't really a distinction between gamers and non-gamers here though, besides postcount in the OT. If a primarily OT person were to make a decent comment about a game, that would be accepted, and not generally ignored because it was from "that dirty OT person".

Question for GP: If you're not a gamer, what do you do in your free time besides Apolyton? Just curious.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

internet bridge

Comment

That makes you a gamer then. Bridge is a game, yes?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Nah...it's not a computer game. Just a card game...

Gamers play video games.

Comment

Gamers are mostly odd or crazy. If you're odd and crazy, you'll fit in.

S'matter? AH getting under you're skin?

I think it's a little odd that someone who has been around since day 1 would have to wonder. See, you're odd.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

no...AH doesn't get to me. I've messed with him a lot more than he ahs with me. I like playing the wounded innocent.

Plus it is kinda interesting. I like Poly. But computer games. I can do without. I never buy any...

Comment

CLASS WARRRRRR. <b>WORKERS OF APOLYTON UNITE.</b>
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                            CLASS WARRRRRR. <b>WORKERS OF APOLYTON UNITE.</b>
                            YES! We demand profit sharing on all Apolyton merchandise!

How can you distinguish between the gamers and non-gamers?

Comment

I play bridge - quite seriously in the past - but I'm a gamer! it doesn't matter whether it uses cards, board and dice, small figurines, computers, networks, tiles or any other bizarre equipment ...
                              Of course all non-gamers should be rounded up and poked with sharp sticks - I thought that was generally acknowledged...

SG[1]
                              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                              X