Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do non-English speakers come to Poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that it wasn't English, and Indonesia is the closest non-English speaking country also figured into that "guess"
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Stop with the avatar escalation. Don't drag us all into an avatar war...

Comment

Some of us poor Warlords can't wait until we can have controversial and unpopular avatars ...

There are many more miles of spam before me until I get it though...

I like the look of the Indonesian language ... it looks pretty cool on the screen ... almost like somebody trying to clear their nose, which is no bad thing in my book.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

You're doing just great FP.

But to get back on topic (well, somewhat) I think Finnish looks cooler than Indonesian. It looks cooler - and more alien - than just about anything.

I bet if the little green man ever land a saucer they'll actually speak Finnish.
          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by GP
            Do you all think that there are more non-English speaking civers on English-speaking boards or on native boards? (obviously the native boards are smaller. But if we summed them up.)
            From my observation native boards will attract far more native speakers than international english speaking ones. And there a quite a few native Civ boards in the world which add up. Just because you don't go look for them doesn't mean they don't exist.

For my self, I came through USENET and UCC in it's heyday...English was never a problem for me so there wasn't really a language barrier.
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by moominparatrooper
              You're doing just great FP.

But to get back on topic (well, somewhat) I think Finnish looks cooler than Indonesian. It looks cooler - and more alien - than just about anything.

I bet if the little green man ever land a saucer they'll actually speak Finnish.
              Isn´t enough that Orcs speak finnish?
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by GP

I don't buy the Mark/Dan line about how this is primarily a gaming site.
                Apolyton's primary function at the outset and still is to serve the gaming community, and in particular a specific portion of that community. However, I would not try to maintain -- nor would I want to -- that Apolyton is nothing more than that. I have no doubt that Markos agrees with me on this.

On the contrary, Apolyton site has blossomed beyond both of our expectations not only in terms of size and popularity, but also depth. There are limits to the extent to which non-gaming matters will be permitted to be addressed on the site, of course, but we do not see this site in so strict "black and white" terms as far as gaming/non-gaming goes.

-------------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                  Stop with the avatar escalation. Don't drag us all into an avatar war...
                  You talkin' to me? Will stop when Eli, Siro and Marcus get act together...
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

i must say that i'm quite surprised to see how many dutch speaking people there are on these boards (both countries not being all that big and all )
                    i'l from antwerp btw

ot: i guess there are too many forums, wich is no problem for an english one (being very international by nature), because it can attract enough people to keep it interresting. But the "local" ones are symply boring (bad mods, very few people, very! adolescent, spamfestivals even compared to poly ), they don't generate enough traffic

if a forum doesn't have enough posters it wil fade

so spam away D)
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X