This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qoute: "i think this thread has lasted waaaay more than what it should...."

Whether I agree with the closing of two threads recently, I would like to know what are the rules for threads to operate in. Too I would like to know what the community is thinking about this. In my opinion closing threads might be a good thing to keep the forum clean, but I can too imagine that threads closed by force will re-open with a new thread soon enough, so I lose to a certain extent the idea that this actually works. But as said before, how does the community think about this?

BTW:
    These are threads that were closed recently, you can't post there anymore, reading them could be of some use though:
    Stop the America-bashing!
    America isn't old enough to be in Civ3

Ming seems to be in one of those overzealous moods today. For my theory behind it, check the thread I have just posted
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There is a post limit of 500. If permitted they will can sometimes go-on longer. Those threads were just getting repetitive anywho.

Also, it was MarkG who closed them.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

but I can too imagine that threads closed by force will re-open with a new thread soon enough,

If there is stuff still to discuss, then it is permissable, and mods/admins actively suggest opening a new thread because the previous one was too long.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

practice has proven has shown that endless threads with dead discussions that actually go nowhere keep going simply because the thread is left open
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Like this one?

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

(Tuber, you've got your avatar now, you can stop spamming )

Yes, like this one.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                (Tuber, you've got your avatar now, you can stop spamming )

I am Building a PCR Buffer!

EDIT: Better Skanky?
                Last edited by Tuberski; May 14, 2002, 21:49.
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yes, like this one.

Erm, I was referring to this thread being a "dead discussion" that "kept going simply because it was left open"...

Re-reading my post, it looked as though I was referring to my own post, as though it were spam.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

MarkG I suppose you have far more practice than I have, but I must note that for a reasonable part a thread depends on what is posted there. And true, long threads have a risk that people who don't want to read what has been said before just post not knowing the just repeat what someone else already said. Consequently such discussions go nowhere. Is there some way to prevent this useless posting, take the work of Tuberski and Skanky Burns right here. Might it be interesting to make summaries of a thread on a regular base and post a new thread with the summary at the heading?

Comment

you mean like bumping?

*bump* (+1)

Comment

10% pcr to H Tower
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                        X