redirect screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redirect screens

What is the purpose of the redirect screen when linking outside apolyton. I liked it better before without that. Seems like we are trapped in poly land. What is the purpose of another screen?

If this is what BC was talking about in his thread (can't really tell to be honest), I don't think any cogent explanation was given. Especially for computer dummies.

it helps us stay gamespot-free
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Gamespot free is a good thing.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Free Gamespot was better.
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Hey, why my thread was closed and this one stays open?

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
            it helps us stay gamespot-free
            I don't understand that but the redirection screens are annoying.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
              Hey, why my thread was closed and this one stays open?
              cause i've closed too many of GP's threads these days and i'm afraid that if i overdo it i'll brake his heart
              Last edited by MarkG; May 9, 2002, 06:40.

Comment

Thanks Mark.

I honestly didn't understand the explanation in eli's and Big Crunch's threads? Could you make it mind numbingly simple please? What does the redirect screen have to do with gamespots or paid circulation if that's what you're alluding to. (I mean there are no ads on the redirect screen. How could this relate to money stuff?) I really don't understand what you're talking about .

Comment

find the correct text that answers your question and win a discount on a <a href=http://apolyton.net/store/i.shtml?http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/productdetail.aspx?prodno=apolyton_civ.1416274>Civ ilized Large Mug<sup>TM</sup></a>!!

Comment

Ok...I think I finally get it.

"Pop-ups in other parts of the site
                    We do have pop-up ads on the intermediate pages that appear in most times that you download a file or follow a link outside Apolyton. The 1 popup/24 hours/visitor rule applies here as well."

1. Can I choose a style setting which will disable this?

2. If we have to have this, ok. But I vote against. I just don't like the redirect screens and the use of ads when leaving the site. It is walled gardenish. Um. and we're not even leaving the site. Since forum links open up in a new page...

Comment

Can I choose a style setting which will disable this?
                      sorry, no

If we have to have this, ok
                      we do

we're not even leaving the site. Since forum links open up in a new page...
                      links in the forums to apolyton pages(not files) do not have (= should not have) a redirect page. let me know if you have an example of the opposite

i'll try to implement gramphos' suggestion to not get the redirect if you've goten your daily dose of popup but i'm working on something else right now
                      Last edited by MarkG; May 9, 2002, 07:45.

Comment

just because GP is bothered from it, the previously mentioned change has been made

Comment

I've disabled pop-ups on Opera anyway. Unfortunately this site is too slow under opera so it's the only site I still need IE for.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            just because GP is bothered from it, the previously mentioned change has been made
                            Thank you markos. (The reast of you may thank me. It's transitive.) I understand the ads. I just didn't like the screens.

What I meant wrt not leaving poly is that if you click on a thread in the forums, it opens a NEW PAGE. So yes, you are outside Poly but you're not LEAVING poly. Poly is still open in the original page.

Comment

Ok, good skills on the "redirect without loading if not popping-up" front, but...

One pop-up/24 hrs/user is it? I seem to be getting about 1 every 4 or 5 hours. Any idea why?
                              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                              "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Working...
                              X