Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does editing posts take longer than posting them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does editing posts take longer than posting them?

Been noticing this over and over since the upgrade to vB. What causes this? Is it the post has to be found in the tree for editing while it's just added when posted?

exactly..
    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Well, it's always harder to write in a file then writeing at the end of a file.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I also noticed the "problem".
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

The obvious solution is to get it <strike>write, oh crap</strike> right first time.

EDIT - THAT WAS DELIBERATE

THIRD TIME LUCKY
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

so my assumption was right. so if it's all a tree... how frequently does it get balanced?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
              so my assumption was right. so if it's all a tree... how frequently does it get balanced?
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

i'm not sure if it's actually a tree, i think it's just a simple database really, since it uses MySQL.
                <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.

Comment

And a database is not arranged as a tree? given the vast amount of posts, it must be.

I see Eli's returned to "" only posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                    I see Eli's returned to "" only posting.
                    The "-s look stange wound a smilie, (I have to test this "")

No to the actual reason for this post: Can it be the update of the searchindex that takes time (removing the post from wth words it no longer has)
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

lol, it seems like mysql does use a tree structure...
                      Then i think the search would be the extra time, cos i don't think changing data is much different than adding, you just assign the new text editted to the old post, no need to remove the old post, it just gets overriden...off course this just my speculation on how mysql works... ""

Comment

just testing... and responding, of course

""

Comment

Pretty basic.
                          Editing involves locating where the original post was, deleting the original contents, then replacing those contents with the new post.

Posting involves adding more to the known end of a file.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

But think of the trees!! Won't someone think of the trees!!!

""
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Are you sure it uses a balanced b-tree? Looks like too much trouble.

''
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X