Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nosy About Funding

I have been to many vBulletin sites.

I recently joined one about the film 'Gladiator' which had all kinds Russell Crowe information.

It is

All hotels in Cancun. The best selection of Cancun hotels with reviews and maps. Book in advance and save.

I've never posted there, but the moderator said:

Dear G-Fans, Originally, I was suppose to make an announcement last week about pop-ups and power ads returning to the board for some months. However, the need became less within days which lead me not to make no announcement on that.

However, once again, the board needs your help. The board is a License product by VBulletin. And they ask for fixed dollars to renew the License every year. Since there have been some problems recently, this time they are asking for a higher number in US Dollars. All I ask are small donations from each of you that equals to that amount.

You can either paypal it to me or send an international money order to the following address

Jawad Mir
    31 Adelaide Street
    P.O.Box 304
    Toronto, Ontario
    Canada, M5C 2J4

Hope you understand and I am certain you guys will come out to help. Thanks.

Jawad

I ain't paying, I read one tiny Ed Harris article and I'm not paying $10 for that privallege.

Does Apolyton request such donations? I have a 'spare' kidney.
    And how come you aren't as up front as the Jawad person?
    And what is this ever rising 'fixed' sum vBulletin requests?
    And have you ever considered turning Off-Topic into a gay man dating agency?

Alynzia.

Don't worry - you won't be asked for money here - this site is fully funded by the aluminati.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

1) thank you, but we're not in the position to need to ask for donations
      2) there are two ways to have vBulletin
      - lease it for $85/year
      - buy it for $160
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

If you lease it, do you automatically receive upgrades?
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

yes, if you lease it, you get all the upgrades
          if you buy it, you can get upgrades for 30$/year

Comment

Markos, I can remember you telling that Apolyton will NEVER be a pay site... do *you* remember?
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

what makes you wonder if i remember or not?

Comment

Let's call it curiosity .

If you forget the words, you might actually make us pay someday .
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

if you have no reason to wonder about it then i'd like you not to question my memory. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                    1) thank you, but we're not in the position to need to ask for donations
                    2) there are two ways to have vBulletin
                    - lease it for $85/year
                    - buy it for $160

yes, if you lease it, you get all the upgrades
                    if you buy it, you can get upgrades for 30$/year
                    I take you plan on having vBulletin for less than 3 more years.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

actually, we own a vb license, we dont lease it.

Comment

Ooops

Change "less" with "more" in the other post.

I guess you would have recouped your cost by now. Fourth anniversary this summer isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          Let's call it curiosity .

If you forget the words, you might actually make us pay someday .
                          The operative word here is <I>make</I>, which naturally implies that we are talking about a pay-<I>only</I> site. That is not and will not be the case with Apolyton -- we are continuing to stick to the promise we made long ago along these lines. Payment would only be, if/when implemented, <I>optional</I>. All of the content would still be <U>free</U>. As for what you would get with payment, we are still exploring "feature lists" options as well as if, when and how to implement such a payment structure.

-----------------
                          Dan; Apolyton CS
                          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Re: Ooops

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                            I guess you would have recouped your cost by now. Fourth anniversary this summer isn't it.
                            Err, we're only using vBB since May or something last year...so there's still a while to go

Comment

Isn't it part of the same licence, is the vbb completely different to the old system? I thought it was an upgrade of version, hence covered by the upgrade costs Mark was talking about. I'm not a web tekkie, and have a poor memory on the issue, so you are probably right.

Comment

Working...
                              X