Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark please fix second page o' smilies

Problem #1: page takes forever to load

Problem #2: some people don't see/think about second page smilies.

Suggestion: Put all smilies in a bigger box in the regular thread reply window.

Corrolary: This will help the "beaver" smiley.

Who uses the smiliebars anyway? Just write the code for the smilies, and dsable the bar in the control panel.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

Who uses the smiliebars anyway? Just write the code for the smilies, and dsable the bar in the control panel.
      I do ...sometimes.

But GP is right, I forget we have those new smilies, because I never look at the second page.

Comment

The smilies just slows down the reply-page, they were the first thing I disabled (together with the vB-code bar)

Comment

I don't really remember a lot of the smilies codes, so I use the sidebar most of the time...but I do forget about the 13 smilies not shown.

Comment

Well, I'm happy to have a small reply page It loads fast, and I can have it in a small window.

But of cource, I forget some simlies I don't use often, but in other hands I look on the smilie page now and then when there are no interesting posts to read

Comment

I never use the vB code bar...it would be nice if I could get rid of that and keep the smilies bar...

Comment

how in the hell can I remember the codes for those obscure smilies?

Comment

i dont see a problem...
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

You just need to remember the code you use often, the other you can look up. I made a calculation on it, and the time I save from not loading all the smilies and the vB-bar when replying makes is bigger then the time it takes to look up a smuiliecode oce every ten posts (which is more then I do)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      i dont see a problem...
                      OK, Mark.

To see slow loading, try loading second page of smilies and time the load.

To see ignorance of second page, just read the replies to this thread.

Now you too can see.

Comment

To see slow loading, try loading second page of smilies and time the load
                        so you want to add that loading time to the main reply page ?
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          To see slow loading, try loading second page of smilies and time the load
                          so you want to add that loading time to the main reply page ?
                          No. I hope you can figure out a way to do it without significant load time. Perhaps the load is based on something different about the second page of smilies. First page loads quickly even though it has 30 (!) smilies.

Comment

Can yuo put the smilies in an IFRAME

Comment

1. If you take the smilIes off the reply page, then replace them with prominent signage, everyone gets faster load times (which IMHO as a user, is this site's biggest problem), and those who want smilIes are one click away. That click could then reveal all available smilIes, perhaps including some of the new ones that Stefu has been working on.

Then again...

2. Smilies are used all the time around here, whereas regarding VB code doesn't seem to be in common use. So maybe that's the thing that should go.

3. Maybe some of the newer smilies could be "promoted" to the main page and replace some of the less-used models currently shown there. (The interminable variations on "banned" come to mind... And most of the red ones look the same.).

4. A more prominent "MORE" link might be helpful in keeping some of these poor, underemployed smileys off the dole.

5. The IFRAME is a non-compatible tag. Fine in IE, but it breaks in Netscape and Mozilla.
                              DON'T USE FRAMES!! FRAMES ARE EVIL!!!
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X