The Apolyton Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolyton Search

Are there really 10 000+ DMOZ listed web pages of Apolyton? I did a Google search with the name and I got that results. Whoa!

The most interesting was

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

A group on Yahoo with 1 member. Come on, admit who started that. I was going to join but it looked too exciting, what with it's one member and empty message board.

Also, this is probably on the FAQ, but how do you pronounce Apolyton. Is it A-poly-ton ( a polly ton) or Apo-lyton ( apoe lition) otr something else I could never fathom?

Alynzia.

Re: The Apolyton Search

Originally posted by Alynzia
    Also, this is probably on the FAQ, but how do you pronounce Apolyton. Is it A-poly-ton ( a polly ton) or Apo-lyton ( apoe lition) otr something else I could never fathom?
    I use the first one.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

According to one of the mods, it's apple-ton.

I go with a polly ton as well though.

Comment

Ah-polly-ton here!
        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

There are two schools of thought on this one. Either (to mark it's Greek-Canadian nature) it's said with a heavy Canadian accent, ie. apple-AI-ton. Or, since it's a greek word, it's pronounced the way a greek would say it which (correct me if I'm wrong, but I asked a cypriot girl to help me) would be AH-pol-yih-toh.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

To clarify:

The proper pronunciation of Apolyton is "Ah-poll-e-ton". I have said in the past that "A-poll-i-ton" is the 'Canadian accent'. I will be thoroughly impressed if anyone can figure out the origin of the latter.

----------------
            Dan; Apolyton CS
            PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

So who made the yahoo groups?

Comment

Dunno. Wierd though, because I found it and joined it only today myself, without even seeing this thread before
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I usually go with "Up-al-i-ten"
                  "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                  You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I use a polly ton, which is how I get the shortened version 'poly
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                    X