Browsing the forums with Opera...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browsing the forums with Opera...

is unfortunately not possible at all. Some changes done to the pages a while ago did something Opera don't like at all. The pages never load completely. As an example opera has now been trying to load www.apolyton/forums/ for over 20 min, and has loaded 13% of the pages. The speed is 7 B/S. If I try the same pages in any other browser they load right away.

Opera is one of the most standard compliant browser there is, so it should not be a problem with the browser.

I ran the pages throuh the w3c validator:

There were a lot of error messages, but this one in particular might be causing some problems:

* Warning: No Character Encoding detected!

If you would consider adding this to your pages, it might do the trick for opera.

Thanks,
    Y-S
    We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Have you tried it with W3C's own browser, Amya or something like that? I reckon that if any browser is completely compliant, that would be it.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I have been browsing with Opera 6.01 and it seems to be working fine for me, some of the spacing is a little off, but everything seems to be loading fine. Do you have latest version of Opera? And do you have Java installed? I am running 6.01 with Java installed. Hope this helps!!
      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
      EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
      AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Rhuarc
        I have been browsing with Opera 6.01 and it seems to be working fine for me, some of the spacing is a little off, but everything seems to be loading fine. Do you have latest version of Opera? And do you have Java installed? I am running 6.01 with Java installed. Hope this helps!!
        I'm having problems with both Opera 6.01 for windows, and with Opera 6.0 beta 1 for linux. Both have java enabled. I have tried switching on and off things in the settings, but can't get it to work. I've got a few friends of mine to try the site too, and they have the same problem.

I'm a little puzzled by this, since it works fine for you

Comment

When you say you can't get it to work, what do you mean by that? I mean waht and what doesn't load. Are pictures not loading? Or do the end of pages not load? if you could take a screenshot of what it looks like and poast it up maybe I can help you out a little further. Hope this helps!

Comment

When you say you can't get it to work, what do you mean by that? I mean waht and what doesn't load. Are pictures not loading? Or do the end of pages not load? if you could take a screenshot of what it looks like and poast it up maybe I can help you out a little further. Hope this helps!
            It always stops at about 13% of the page loaded and then nothing happens for a very long time. If I give it 30-40 min then maybe the page finaly loads.

If I press stop during this time, then parts of the page pop up, but never all of it. It's quite a frustrating way of browsing the forums as you may understand.

It's really weird since this behavior started suddenly one day, without me having changed any settings in my browser or anything like that. It's like opera panics: "Oh no, its apolyton again, lets reduce the speed to 0,000001 b/s"

Comment

Have you tried completely uninstalling Opera and rebooting, then reinstalling a new clean isntallation

Comment

Have you tried completely uninstalling Opera and rebooting, then reinstalling a new clean isntallation
                Nope, won't do any good. That's not where the problem lies. And I definately don't see any reason to reboot debian

Comment

what os are you using? I am running XP. Maybe that has something to do with why mine is working, but other than that I'm afraid I am all out of ideas!

Comment

I use Opera 6.01 with Win2000 and I have the same problem. It starts of okay and then suddenly it stops around 16, 17%.

When I visit the Apolyton forums I have to fall back to Exploder

Here's a shot of the status bar after a minute of loading...
                    Attached Files
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

what os are you using? I am running XP. Maybe that has something to do with why mine is working, but other than that I'm afraid I am all out of ideas!
                      I'm dual-booting debian (a linux-distribution) and win98SE.

Comment

I have this problem too, with 6.01 under both win2k and win98. My pages do load sometimes though, if you leave them for a while. It definitely hangs at the point mentioned in other posts above though.

Another annoying thing is having to have explorer or whatever as your default browser if you want to use the link in emails sent informing you of response to your posts.

Comment

Just let Microsoft win.
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

No! Opera is so much better its untrue. When I use explorer for apolyton I get _very_ frustated when my mouse gestures don't work.

Comment

Opera is indeed so much better that it stalls when reading Apolyton.

Report your bug to Opera, not here. It's a bug in their software.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X