This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gasmaske
    although a lot of Amkericans also get confused about the usage and think it means ethnicity as well.
    Well hmmm, as I pointed out, the word does apply to some ethnic groups. Go ahead, bolt those closed doors that are the possible openning of your mind. Apply the meanings you are aware of to the straight jacket that you know of our language. Do not learn, that would be bad.

You, and DC were being absurd. I said so.

Salve
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• How absurd is it to try and clarify a misunderstanding and reach a mutual understanding?

What a t0sser you are.

(+1)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasmaske
        Is Jewish a nationality? Its an ethnic identity but not a nationality.
        About as absurd as your statement above. Ask the Israelis whether they consider all Jews to be of one nation. I think they will say they do. I guess that's why it's automatic citizenship (or nearly).

Go ahead, cling to your 1 definition for each word view. It does look a little foolish IMO, but it is your right.

Salve
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• To be honest I can't be bothered arguing with you but I'm not prepared to let you have the last post.
          (+1)

Comment

• OK.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

• Off on a tangent?

How did a thread about interviewing Ming turn into a thread about the definition of Jewish nationality?

Actually, I probably don't want to know...
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                DarkCloud:

I have nothing against Horsie.

It was mostly about Gasmaske, and a very little about your post(s).

In this day and age, I consider it a wee bit absurd for a bunch of people to be sitting around debating whether Jewish people can be counted as a *Nation* or not.

I really don't want to go too far off topic here, so I'll stop by saying that selective applications of dictionary entries are not very helpful. Let's try this one:

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Entry no. 3. In other words, in addition to no.'s 1 and 2.
                *A people who share common customs, origins, history, and frequently language; a nationality: “Historically the Ukrainians are an ancient nation which has persisted and survived through terrible calamity”*

Hey, it's even American English. Kinda sounds like a lot of Jewish people I have heard of.

Salve
                The problem with that definition is that it would define anyone, for example... an expatriate Frenchman living in America, but still having some french customs- as a member of the French Nation... That doesn't seem to make sense.

Thus, nations would stretch out beyond borders... Which they don't.

And yes, As for Nationailty- I generally meant what country was the person born in or were his parents.
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Yeah... this has run it's course... The nationality/citizenship stuff... the ask ming stuff ended ages ago
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                  X