Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, but Solver if the Hebrew "nation" declared war on someone- you would not be obliged to fight wouldy ou?
    But if Latvia did, thenl you would- thus Latvian is your nationality, I think.

Thus, since for Nationality I have not considered others under the pattern you suggest, I cannot, in all fairness, consider you as that nationality.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• HTower - If I ever see another immigration card filled in by an american describing their nationality as jewsish, white, black african european english scottish german italian or some other variant of not being a US citizen then it will be too soon. The fact is that most Americans mistake the British use of the word Nationality to mean something other than citizenship, whihc is the accepted meaning this side of the pond.
      (+1)

Comment

• DarkCloud,

Generally, then, your Nationality field stands for Citizneship. BTW, I'm not in the armed service, so I wouldn't be obliged to fight . And yes, we include Nationality, as an ethnic one, in passports here, and yes I do fail to see why should it be done so.

However, DarkCloud, then please include in the Description field of me that I belong to the Hebrews, as an ethnic group. And really interesting then, why your originally typed Greek as my nationality.

You see, this all is just confusion. In Russian, Natzionalnost stands for Ethnic Nationality, while Russians use Grazhdanstvo the way you use Nationality. In Latvian, ethn. nationality is Tautiba, from the word Tauta - nation, people.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• I'm glad that I was able to contribute to providing a better understanding here.
          (+1)

Comment

• Generally, I dislike the differences in how Americans and Brits use the same words. In fact, the language spoken in USA and UK is not the same.

Comment

• It's not- just check out some British-American dictionaries on the internet- I've found about 10 good ones... Although I forget the links right now...

Okay-- Ethnic Group it may be-- But I could have some fun mocking you and write:
              Nationality he is allegedly one of the nation of the "Hebrews" (My supposition is that he plays alltogether too much CTP)
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                Horse,

You serious? I just wonder why you are interested about Jews over here, aren't you Jewish? In that case, I apology about whatever bad words I've said about you, Jews don't insult other Jews . But yes, Jews live here, there's a Jewish Community here, and the Aman's Ears for Purim are really tasty.

Shalom leitrajot!
                Yes, I'm serious - I know what happened to the Latvian Jews during the war. No, I'm not Jewish but I'm glad that there is a Jewish community in Latvia today. I hope you prosper and grow there in peace with your countrymen.

Shalom to you too
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                  Generally, I dislike the differences in how Americans and Brits use the same words. In fact, the language spoken in USA and UK is not the same.
                  Darn tootin' - whihc is in fact American rather than English.

I can't remember the author but the quote about the UK and the Us being two nations separated by a common language sort of comes to mind.
                  (+1)

Comment

• What kinds of morons grill European Jews about their nationality? Hint buddy, nobody treated them very well when the chips were down.

He's Jewish. It's enough for Isreal. It's enough for me.

BTW. This is not an American English board. From the same side of the pond as you.

Salve
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasmaske
                      I can't remember the author but the quote about the UK and the Us being two nations separated by a common language sort of comes to mind.
                      Bernard Shaw, SP.
                      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                        What kinds of morons grill European Jews about their nationality? Hint buddy, nobody treated them very well when the chips were down.

He's Jewish. It's enough for Isreal. It's enough for me.

BTW. This is not an American English board. From the same side of the pond as you.

Salve
                        All I have to say is: What exactly are you saying?
                        And is it merely because you dislike Alexanders Horse?
                        Or are you defending something that even Solver didn't bring up?

Since when did I or anyone else here insult Jewish people
                        -->Visit CGN!

Comment

• DarkCloud:

I have nothing against Horsie.

It was mostly about Gasmaske, and a very little about your post(s).

In this day and age, I consider it a wee bit absurd for a bunch of people to be sitting around debating whether Jewish people can be counted as a *Nation* or not.

I really don't want to go too far off topic here, so I'll stop by saying that selective applications of dictionary entries are not very helpful. Let's try this one:

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Entry no. 3. In other words, in addition to no.'s 1 and 2.
                          *A people who share common customs, origins, history, and frequently language; a nationality: “Historically the Ukrainians are an ancient nation which has persisted and survived through terrible calamity”*

Hey, it's even American English. Kinda sounds like a lot of Jewish people I have heard of.

Salve
                          Last edited by notyoueither; March 5, 2002, 02:03.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Don't be a prat.

If you actually read the thread you can see that Solver was using the term Nationality in the same way that most FSU people do - Ethnicity. DC and everyone else was using the term in the way that most Europeans do - Citizenship - although a lot of Amkericans also get confused about the usage and think it means ethnicity as well.

Having helped everyone clarify the confusion you attach me. What a ****er you are. Knob.
                            (+1)

Comment

• Who's DL is Big Fish, and have you nailed the original yet?
                              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

• OK, now. Yes, I've used the nationality world in the meaning of Ethnic Group. Otherwise, I use the word Citizenship.

However... this thread was for asking Ming questions for his interview, and has now gone way off-topic. I think the thread should be no longer, and case closed .

Comment

Working...
                                X