Using threads to setup online games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using threads to setup online games

It does seem silly if there are only two players involved. Wouldn't it be much easier to use an instant messenger?

On the other hand, if there are a whole bunch of players at least the thread doesn't look like some kind of private conversation.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Well, I think that regardless of the no. of players, as long as there's an actual game and it's in the right forum, it's no problem. Besides, why use an IM when you can up your post count?

Comment

I thought setting up games was one of the basic purposes of the multiplayer forums. Am I wrong here?
      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

He's referring to the FG-Jon Miller exchange on the Other games forum. Osweld burst in and yelled at them for not doing this via PM or IM. There's a related thread on this forum where Ming sides with FG.

Comment

WTH was Oswald doing spamming the game thread, trying to get some sort of reputation?
          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Everybody doesn't share the same "instant comm" software. Many people only have one of the basic packages loaded. Also, some people have problems with ICQ.

These boards were being used to set up MP games long before the instant comm packages were common. I see no reason why these forums shouldn't continue to be used to do just that.

However, if somebody does appear to be abusing it for the sole purpose of jacking up their post count, then they will be dealt with.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sorry Ming but I agree with Oswald and UR. When only 2 players are involved, they should use either an IM, PM or common e-mail.

When I arranged a MOO2 game with Sencho, I started using PM. Then I got his e-mail by visiting his Home page, and started using it. He didn't have his ICQ working, but no one saw anything on the forums about this game! That's because it's just a game between 2 persons, a game that I wouldn't have to specify details to several persons. If I would be playing with 3 or more, then that would be justifyable to use the forums, so that everyone gets what I write, and I wouldn't have to repeat myself. But in this case, it's just 2 persons playing a game!
              And trust me, If we used the forums rather than our PMs and e-mails, we would have spammed a lot more than Fadded Glory and Jon Miller spammed!

And I think we all prefer discretion to spam!
              "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
              Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
              Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
              Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

You are welcome to your opinion, but I will continue to disagree.

As I said, if it looks like it is being abused, action will be taken.

However, this is a gaming site... and to even think that these forums "shouldn't" be used to set up MP games is just plain silly.

We had two gamers playing a game, and some rude person just breaks in, and claims THEY are spamming. Well as I see it, they weren't the spammers

Keep on Civin'
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot
                  If we used the forums rather than our PMs and e-mails, we would have spammed a lot more than Fadded Glory and Jon Miller spammed!
                  That's why it's ok that they did it but would be wrong if you did it. Does it makes sense now?

RAH
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This is a game site isn't it?

Those guys were first attempting to set up a game, then playing it.

The other guy was just being a smartass, he had no buisiness telling people how to set up and play thier games.

In fact, I still use the forums here for that on occausion, not just the MP forum, but others as well.

It looked more to me that the budinsky had personal issues with Stevirino and Miller, that's why the stink.
                    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      You are welcome to your opinion, but I will continue to disagree.

As I said, if it looks like it is being abused, action will be taken.

However, this is a gaming site... and to even think that these forums "shouldn't" be used to set up MP games is just plain silly.

We had two gamers playing a game, and some rude person just breaks in, and claims THEY are spamming. Well as I see it, they weren't the spammers

Keep on Civin'
                      I'm not saying Oswald should be rude, but the fact is both FG and Miller did abuse the forum! If you read the thread in question you will surely understand that most of the posts are "void", and are basically just comments about how the game is going; "Hah! Gotcha this time!" - "Yeah, I was stronger, but you used the artillery better!" - and such.

Setting MP games is one of this forums' core activities. But that kind of dialogue we have been discussing about certainly is not! Thank God!

RAH, absolutely!
                      "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                      Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                      Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                      Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

For the record, I was not the one who made a big fuss about that - All I did was say that it's spam, and FG got mad at me for posting in his private thread - he is the one who made another post about it, and complained to the mods, not I.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Bloody hell

So Jon Miller and FG added a few posts to their post counts. If they get their complimentery "Emperor" cupcake before I do, more power to them. They weren't harming anybody as far as I could tell, especially since the Other Games thread has such a low traffic volume. Besides, they'd originally tried to set up their game through the OT forum IIRC (before Ming told them to set it up elsewhere), so it's nuts to accuse them of starting their thread for the sole purpose of jacking up their post count.

If such things become a common occurrence, then I say start a sticky "Set up your MP games here" thread in the Other Games forum, so as to limit it to a single thread. I doubt that this will become a common occurrence, though; it seems that most people who set up MP games through Apolyton do so in Civ or CtP, and have their own forums in which to take care of business.
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I'm finding it amazing how some people just don't realize that we're talking about *only* 2 players! It's, as UR said, plain silly!

If you just don't get it, fine!

edit: It just occured to me now. IF one of them was posting that he wanted to start an MP game, and was inviting the community, and just one answered to the invitation, I would understand that. They would then set it up, clear doubts about some concepts, and start it. I'm really ok with this!

But if you really think that what was posted by these 2 members was not spam covered by "a game", then I really am surprised how naive some persons are!
                            Last edited by Zealot; February 21, 2002, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot
                              I'm finding it amazing how some people just don't realize that we're talking about *only* 2 players! It's, as UR said, plain silly!
                              "Silly" doesn't play into it yet. Some people just don't realize that we're talking about *only* 1 thread.

If you just don't get it, fine!
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X