Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suomi/svenska/etc. language threads

Question:

Is a language thread a club thread or not? With a thread in finnish and another in Swedish (?) in the OT, where does it end. Can everybody in start a thread in his own language? Dutch, Spanish, French, German, Hebrew.

I don't mind if people post a few times in their own language, but several threads?

Or is this a good way to keep an overflow of psoters from one country in a single location?
    Well, lets just imagine my question is not hypothetical then...
    -
    My God, I'm thirty, I need a drink - english textbook spelling error

A sfor the Finnish theard Mark has said that Stefu pays for it with smilies. I didn't know about a Swedish thead, and svenska=Swedish if that would make your suspisions confirmed.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

As with any type of thread... when they start getting out of hand, then action is taken.

Also... if somebody complains about the content, and provides a reasonable translation that is then confirmed by somebody else, then the specific thread is closed.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Is a language thread a club thread or not?
        Of course not. Nothing stops foreigners from posting there.

Of course, knowing the language is helpful.
        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
          Of course not. Nothing stops foreigners from posting there.
          Just the term 'foreigners' makes you think.

The example given in the FAQ says 'emperors only-thread'. No one could be stopped posting there, could they? Then why are they verboten?

Of course, knowing the language is helpful.
          That's my main problem. I don't know any flocking Scandinavian languages.
          I feel left out.
          Well, lets just imagine my question is not hypothetical then...
          -
          My God, I'm thirty, I need a drink - english textbook spelling error

Comment

There was a time when we had threads in many different languages, but just as Ming said, as long as it doesn't get out of hand, it's no big deal.

Misschien moeten we de Nederlandse draad maar doen herleven

Comment

Originally posted by Drekkus
              That's my main problem. I don't know any flocking Scandinavian languages.
              I feel left out.
              That doesn't stop me from posting in the suomi thread. I just do know a few words of Finish. Ruosti on maailman paras maa! Ruosti = Sweden
              on = is

You can always try to use

but last time I did it ended up with something like merge Sweden with Finland instead of replaced Finland with Sweden in a string.

It can translate to Swedish as well. I'll wait and see how intelegent messages you can post.
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Then why are they verboten?
                Because they encourage spam?

I feel left out.
                There's always Babelfish...

Niks Nederlandse draad, Nederlands moet de standaardtaal van Apolyton worden! Dat zal die engels-taligen leren!
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                  Niks Nederlandse draad, Nederlands moet de standaardtaal van Apolyton worden! Dat zal die engels-taligen leren!
                  Dus als we nu alleen maar Nederlands gaan praten, moeten we het forum over kunnen nemen

Either that, or we start a Dutch Civ-Forum and go rule the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                    (..)Also... if somebody complains about the content, and provides a reasonable translation that is then confirmed by somebody else, then the specific thread is closed.
                    Does that mean if someone swears on Suomithreadi, it'll be closed...

Houston, we have a problem...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu
                      Does that mean if someone swears on Suomithreadi, it'll be closed...

Houston, we have a problem...
                      I doubt he mean' swearing. It is done in threads in English, by re-routing the sensorbot. The user of the trick will be banned only if he goes out of control with it.

Right?

I think it was more directed at some personal assaults or completely useless spam. And who would give that translation away, anyway?

And the Suomithreadi is not a club thread, no, I for one want people who are not Finnish to post there!
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

How is it any more a club thread than a thread which deals with an obscure and difficult topic? I can think of a few discussions to hold in English which would be almost as unintelligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Natan
                          How is it any more a club thread than a thread which deals with an obscure and difficult topic? I can think of a few discussions to hold in English which would be almost as unintelligible.
                          You are right. There are some topics about some local thingamajics like strange sports or people or politicians I have never heard of. I can not participate in such a conversation, not without spamming.
                          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

well you could ask what is going on...

but in those threads you can't participate at all.

Destroy Soumithreadi!
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by FireDragon
                              Destroy Soumithreadi!
                              Let's not forget to destroy the Spanish forum too
                              In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
                              In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Working...
                              X