What causes server overflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes server overflow?

Every now and then when I try to reply to a thread or start a new thread, I receive a message along the lines of "The server is too full, try again later." However, it doesn't seem like the number of users online determines how "full" the server is; I'll receive this message sometimes when there are only a hundred users visible, sometimes when there are several hundred visible. What exactly is going on with the server when I receive this message? Is it just that most users are in invisible mode or something?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

The most common cause is drinking too much in the hours before going to bed. Try not drinking anything after dinner, and always use the toilet before going to bed. If that doesn't work your doctor may be able to prescribe some DDAVP, or you might try wearing one of those "big kids" diapers. One warning about the later; contrary to what the advertisements claim, during sleepovers the other kids ALWAYS notice that you're wearing diapers and will rib you about it until the day you show up at high school carrying enough firepower to wipe out the senior class.

Other causes of "overflow" include outlet obstruction, such as prostate cancer, badly performed GYN surgery, and misplaced butt plugs, and neurogenic causes such as spinal injuries, strokes, alcohol, marijuana, ecstacy, LSD, and too much sex.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I think it's based on the number of simultaneous accesses the server has to process.

When a user is just reading a thread he's not accessing the server. When he does something that causes the server to access the database, such when he's requesting to view a different thread or posting a message, then it counts.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        I think it's based on the number of simultaneous accesses the server has to process.

When a user is just reading a thread he's not accessing the server. When he does something that causes the server to access the database, such when he's requesting to view a different thread or posting a message, then it counts.
        Correct.

-----------------
        Dan; Apolyton CS
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Oh - I thought the server was just having a period.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

women only have it once a month, the server has it once a day.
            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Working...
            X