Well, well, well, look at this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teeba
    Ahh, but Mark, I didn't comment on what Firaxis was doing. I'm sure that Jeff, Soren, Dan ect. want to make the best game they can, but that's not what I was bringing up... I just don't know what they're capable of/allowed to do at all. I do get the sinking feeling that they are capable of a lot, but not allowed to do a lot
    I agree on this point. Civ 3 is (mainly, I think) Soren's baby, and I think Civ 3 is also Soren's first world wide published game, so I really believe that he would like to make the best Civ ever if he could! Give Civ 3 a break, will ya? Despite Civ 3 suck in several subjects, I have to agree that it's nevertheless a professional work, not something that a wannabe group of programmers/artists could do.
    "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
    Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
    Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
    Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      no he doesnt. when he had something to say, he sent it to us via mail(brian&co leaving firaxis case)
      if my memory is correct he didnt even have a login on the owo forums. i wonder if that means that he had nothing to do with smac as well? hell, if we follow this line of thought, brian didnt have much to do with the game either

[serious mode=on]
      the use of "Sid Meier" in all firaxis titles leads me to believe that firaxis has realised the marketing power of it. if you were Sid Meier, partially owning firaxis, with a history of 20 years making computer games, would you simply "not care" if the next game with your name on is rubbish or not?

as for the thread, when you compare two games, the thread belongs here
      Point taken, but it would still be nice if Sid were more involved with the community, although it's not imperitive.

See, sure Sid Meier would care if Civ3 were "rubbish." Trouble is that while it's a good game it's not everything most fans had reasonably hoped it would be. I would feel better about the future of Civ if it looked like Sid were more involved. Even if the Firaxis team made all the changes without Sid's input, having his power and influence more strongly behind them would help a lot. I'm sure that the money men at Firaxas/Infogames take Sid's word more seriously than they would somebody else's.
      So there we were, two men against an army... man, we beat the hell outta those two.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
        no he doesnt. when he had something to say, he sent it to us via mail(brian&co leaving firaxis case)
        if my memory is correct he didnt even have a login on the owo forums. i wonder if that means that he had nothing to do with smac as well? hell, if we follow this line of thought, brian didnt have much to do with the game either

[serious mode=on]
        the use of "Sid Meier" in all firaxis titles leads me to believe that firaxis has realised the marketing power of it. if you were Sid Meier, partially owning firaxis, with a history of 20 years making computer games, would you simply "not care" if the next game with your name on is rubbish or not?

as for the thread, when you compare two games, the thread belongs here
        Actually, it's common knowledge that Sid had very little to do with SMAC. Brian's role is debatable. Unless you follow theFiraxians .
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
        X