Gender roles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender roles

I post this since it could always be moved from the civ3 general forum, or to there, depending on the whims of the moderators.

Well, I don't think anyone is surprised by the results of the gender poll, though I find the disparity trully huge, and greater than I originally believed. I mean, 10% female would still be low, but 5% minus?!

So, why do so few females hang out in this forum? Are game forums just a guy thing? Or maybe, is it because of the inherent sexism of civ3?

You ask, what inherent sexism? Well, besides cat, joan, and cleo there are 3 other women in the game (I was right in saying that there are more women in the game than posting about it. How sad) The ministers of trade, interior, culture. Think about that, interior, trade, culture. So, the ones that stay at home, managuing, doing the housework and cooking, cleaning up and keeping the kids happy, are the females. The manly men are out there, earning, be it by engaging others socially in diplomacy, capturing through war, or researching intently. The women just fiddle the books and run the budget, get the groceries, so to speak (by managing what the diplomat gets throught trade), and of course, women are the civil, quite ones, the 'cultured ones'. I mean, fine, civ2 had only one female, but she was foreign affairs (though there she played the role of deciever, not a flattering picture of women by itself).

Or perhaps not, perhaps women simply don't like TBS games and this will stay the domain of nerdy history geeks.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

well I think more women play civ games then many other types of games. Except the Sims. The sims capitalized on the female market explaining their amazing sales. But you would think more women would want to rule the world.

Interestingly enough, recent stats show that there are now more women than men on the internet. So the old joke about most women actually being males may not be entirely true. But you never know. Those surveys may have included men posing as women . But most stick to chat rooms and such. They don't seem to discuss gaming as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
      But you would think more women would want to rule the world.
      Well, the thing is, they already do...
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

That's an incredibly gross stereotype...
        "Maybe there's a god above, and all I ever learned from love... was how to shoot at someone who out-drew you. It's not a cry you can hear at night. It's not somebody who's seen the light. It's a cold and It's a broken hallelujah." ~ Cohen

Comment

I believed the percentage of female civ players is higher than their percetage of log-ons at these site, For some reason these type foryms do not seem to appeal to them, Among the civ players that I have personally met, its about a 50/50 split.
          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

that's just cause you're not interested in meeting guys lefty

Comment

Working...
            X