Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot access Apolyton...

... from home.

Since Apolyton "resurrected", a few days ago, I am not able to access it from home. Whenever I try, my browser gives me the following message (or something like this, I can't remember the particulars right now):

FORBIDDEN

You are not allowed to access / on this server.

Apache x.x.xxx Server apolyton.net Port 80

I tried to send a message to MarkG, hoping he could give me some guidance about this issue, since I am not an expert on internet connections. I do not know if the message was successfully received by him, and perhaps he is too busy with other (arguably, more important) problems to answer me personally, so I decided to post this message here on the board... who knows? I might be lucky.

I have to say that I can access Apolyton perfectly from work, no problems at all, and at home I am connecting to the web using Internet Explorer 5.5 and Windows Me (I know, I know... ).

If someone could help with this (apparently) browser problem, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Alex.
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

You are using a bookmark (favorite) that has the numerical address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx) for the off line server, and thus bypasses the DNS for the text URL which directs you to this sever. Clear your old bookmark and set the apolyton bookmark anew on a current apolyton page.
    In IE the bookmarks record the numerical (even thought it displays a text description) address, but the history and the address bar use the text URL.
    Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; January 22, 2002, 16:25.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Thanks for the answer, Lefty... I will surely try this when I get home (I'm at work now...).

Just one more question: do I have to clear all bookmarks or just the Apolyton one? Do I have to go to the bookmarks directory and erase all content there?

Thanks once again for your help...

Alex.

Comment

No, just the Apolyton one.
        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Well, unfortunately those instructions did not solve the problem. But I managed to solve it myself (I'm typing this from home... ).

I first tried to delete my Apolyton bookmark. It did not work. Then I deleted the "hosts" file in the Windows folder (that helped with another problem I had with an internet accelerator -- Speednet, to be more precise). But it did not work too.

So I decided to make the last and big jump: tweak the registry. My heart was pounding faster and my palms were sweaty when I commanded the program to search for any "apolyton" references in the registry. It found a reference on a subfolder called "Typed URL's". It was with great fear and expectation that I deleted that reference. A quick reboot, and PRESTO! I could access Apolyton again.

Thanks to Lefty and Zealot for their help and attention.

Now, back to the board...

Comment

I have had to change my bookmarks for apolyton over the years
            growing pains I guess.
            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

See the "Downtime Report: Jan. 22 & 23" news item in the 'About' section for information on the recent, isolated downtime. It was posted earlier today; you can find a direct link to it from the pull-down news menu found in the masthead of this and other forum pages.

----------------
              Dan; Apolyton CS
              PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I would like to take the opportunity to say how fast Apolyton is right now. I never got it this fast! It's like it's almost instant!

Well, if you didn't do anything, then it might have been my connection at work that improved substancially!
                "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Working...
                X