I was so looking forward to CIV 3... now back to CTP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin
    I honestly think that CTP2 is a better thought out and organized game then Civ3. That said neither of them are my idea of the perfect game. It's to bad Civ3 doesn't use slic because a "perfect" version of civ would combine CTP2's ease of use, realistic combat, and better tech tree/governemnts/units with Civ3's culture rating, strategic resources, and graphics.
    If Civ3 had slic we could import many of our favorite features from CTP2 and we'd score a coup d'estate for the mod community.

Ordin... You're right on the money!
    ------------------------------------
    Cheers
    Exeter.
    -------------------------------------

Comment

It has turned out to be a disapointment but not a total waste. It did rekindle my interest in SMAC which is a far better game. I haven't tried CTP2 due to a rotten experience with CTP1.

One thing that Sid should do is hire some politically conservative designers to work with him. In Civ and SMAC the pre-occupation with pollution, corruption and green economics is ridiculous. I suspect he is a pinko.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

The CtP graphics are cheesy? Have you seen this person?
        That's f***ing hilarious!!

And, sadly, very much true...

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

The CtP graphics are cheesy? Have you seen this person?

The science advisor is my friend. Don't make fun of him. You're making me sad

Comment

LOL @ CTP2

I have played it MP and what I found was that I was not getting the PW I should get (after a resync I suddenly had about 2000PW (which then faded away again because I LOST PW even though I did not do anything)).
            CTP is **** compared to Civ3. Sure stacking is fine but oh well Civ3 has so many better components like culture or resources. The resource thing alone is just too cool.

It is really annoying me when people act as if Civ3 would be the worst game in the world. And it annoys me even more when there come someone who says the CtP Series is better. I mean come on.

I mean how was CtP supported from Activision? Hello!!! One patch and there you go.

I bet there are comming more patches from Firaxis. I even hope they may do a Blizzard here!

ata

Comment

Some people are coming modded <em>CtP 2</em> with <em>Civ 3</em> which is completely unfair. Yes, <em>Civ 3</em> doesn't have a script language, but it does have some neat concepts such as resources and culture.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why is it unfair to compare Civ3 with modded CtP2? Modded CtP2 is so very different from CtP2 it cannot be regarded the same game anymore: it's a practically sequel and and good one at that. Comparing unmodded CtP2 with Civ3 would be unfair because CtP2 is really a public beta (the designers simply weren't allowed to finish the game by management) while Civ3 is a finished product. Besides, I'd be more than happy to compare modded CtP2 with modded Civ3 except that you can't mod Civ3...

But even when you compare the unmodded games with each other CtP2 wins hands down IMHO: Stacking, PW, SLIC, MAD, Siege Warfare, Unconvential Warfare, actual Future Techs&Units, Multiplayer (including PBEM and Hotseat), Scenarios, etc, etc, etc. Okay, it's a bit buggy (although it works fine on my system, even without any kind of patch) but all Civ3 has to offer is Culture and Resources (oh yeah, Unique Units too but that's actually a bad thing IMHO, very uncivvish...), it makes few other real improvements compared to Civ2 (and CtP2 modmakers are already in the process of copying and even improving upon the best features of Civ3). Was it not Jeffrey Morris who called Civ3 a (and I quote) "conservative sequel"? CtP2 OTOH redefines the genre.
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

All my science advisor does is ***** about not having enough money allocated to science. That's because I have to save my resources for the Civ3 expansion! You'll get my money one way or another, Sid!

A big thanks to the mod making community for CTP2. I preordered the game and was soooooooo disappointed when I played it. The AI was brutal! I remember when I was first playing CTP and the computer was just hammering me with war walkers and I begged for mercy and got none. While in CTP2, when I was at war with the computer, all it would do is send units back and forth between cities and never attack. Thank God for the modding community.

Yes, I love the slaver! Easiest way to build a huge civ right out of the gate!

Thanks also to all who keep the CTP2 boards active!
                  The wall of the Achaians

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    Some people are coming modded <em>CtP 2</em> with <em>Civ 3</em> which is completely unfair. Yes, <em>Civ 3</em> doesn't have a script language, but it does have some neat concepts such as resources and culture.
                    Whereas CtP2 has a scripting language, so could (almost probably will) have those features. Eventually. Possibly in about the same timescale that Civ3 gets a MP and scenario editor X-pack
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I'm still praying that some day Firaxis will wake up and realize there are a lot of good ideas/features in CTP2 that they should include in Civ3 gold or the expansion pack. A well thought out combat system, a flexible multiplayer set up, and a fully functioning scripting language are just a few of the things Firaxis should copy.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

So Firaxis made the one of the big mistakes that can game developers do: Not to look on other games of the same genre. Even the poor Civ clone The Raise And Rhule Of Acient Empres had to offer some good ideas, like stack combat, world wonders on the map, units had to eat the food that grows on the land on that they are (meaning they will starve in the desert) and some kind of leader loyality: If you conquered a city you had to put a huge garrison into the to make the citiziens happy with you first. Otherwise this city would revolt and return to its old leader.

That was the stuff that this game offers, but there was also to much stuff that annoyed you.

-Martin
                        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
                        X