I was so looking forward to CIV 3... now back to CTP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was so looking forward to CIV 3... now back to CTP2

I was so looking forward to CIV 3... and have played it thoroughly over the last 3 months... i cannot say that I have enjoyed it thoroughly however!

The biggest frustration is the lack of unit stacking... both for
    enhanced combat group creation and micro-management of workers.

CTP2 has this.

The speed performance of CIV 3 is ludicrous as well (CTP2 doesn't take anywhere near as long as CIV 3)

I only hope that they observe these forums when/if they develop CIV 4.

Compared to CTP2, CIV 3 is very dissapointing given the scope, promise and opportunity of what CIV III could have been.

In the meantime I no longer play CIV 3 and have gone back to CTP2. But I will monitor this forum with enthusiastic hope that a new patch, upgrade or CIV IV emerges that will reignite my enjoyment for CIV.
    ------------------------------------
    Cheers
    Exeter.
    -------------------------------------

I, too, have bounced back and forth between CTP and Civ3. CTP 2 is outstanding, provided that you use the mods that are posted in the CTP 2 files.

I pledge allegience to Hexagonia!!!

The wall of the Achaians

Comment

How many other people went back to CtP2?

I have as well went back to CtP2. I miss the stealth units and Public Works. Many more different units as well and stacking. Yes you have to play with the mods but Civ3 needs to be modded as well.

I still play Civ3 and enjoy the game but it is missing something for me to be coming back to it.

Davor

Comment

CTP2 does have some neat stuff like PW, but it lacks one major feature, and AI.

You have to admit that civ3 does have a kickass AI.

CTP2 does not even have an AI unless you install the mods. In CTP2, the AI never goes to war with, offers a diplomatic proposal like 3 times in the entire game, and never uses its military units!
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Agreed. Soren did a fabulous job with the AI, particularly given the obvious budgetary and time constraints.
          "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

I really miss the slavers. Boy, did they make folks mad on multiplayer!

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus66
              I really miss the slavers. Boy, did they make folks mad on multiplayer!
              Yeah! Kind of the equivalent of the monks on AoE 2! They annoy me enough when the computer uses them let alone when I am playing a human who can use taunts and laugh at me. I can never see where the monks are and all I can here is ahhhhh ahhh ahhh didilydododooo ARGH! Another man gone!!!

NOTE: People who don't play AoE 2 may not understand the noises...people who do play it will be lucky if they do

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                CTP2 does not even have an AI unless you install the mods.
                It has an A though

The I is in the works.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I know what you are talking about- those monks...

Another cool thing about the slaver was if you attacked with him in the stack, you took the enemy unit as a slave in the nearest city. That seemed so historically real.

I know that the idea would be controversial, but an accurate trading model of the ancient age would have to include humans as a commodity. Heck, the slave trade exists today in some parts of the world. Unfortunate, but true.

Comment

Yes Civ3 is a dissapointment given all the advances in other games since Civ1 and 2. But going back to CTP...please...

I know graphics are a very small part of a strategy game but I can't look at a CTP screen without thinking how cheesey (oh my God I said cheesey) it is in comparison.

The armies of up to twelve units are handy and more realistic, but I find taking a city in one turn - with one battle actually - just a little boring.

Probably the worst thing about CTP is that it doesn't really feel like the "AI" is an actual opponent. SMAC was far and away the best for this: Deidre, Yang, Miriam...yada yada... felt like real people that you had a real relationship with. And getting them to swear a Pact of Brotherhood to serve you was even more satisfying than destroying them.

They'll get Civ3 right.

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                      CTP2 does have some neat stuff like PW, but it lacks one major feature, and AI.

You have to admit that civ3 does have a kickass AI.

CTP2 does not even have an AI unless you install the mods. In CTP2, the AI never goes to war with, offers a diplomatic proposal like 3 times in the entire game, and never uses its military units!
                      The mods really do improve the AI and remember that in CTP2 you always have the option of playing a real, living, breathing human. Which is always superior to any AI no matter how good...
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I honestly think that CTP2 is a better thought out and organized game then Civ3. That said neither of them are my idea of the perfect game. It's to bad Civ3 doesn't use slic because a "perfect" version of civ would combine CTP2's ease of use, realistic combat, and better tech tree/governemnts/units with Civ3's culture rating, strategic resources, and graphics.
                        If Civ3 had slic we could import many of our favorite features from CTP2 and we'd score a coup d'estate for the mod community.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

CTP2 was a good game for its time. It had multiplayer right out of the box- you didn't have to wait for an expansion pack or patch. The interface was ok- at least it announced events in an easy to see place, and the setting up stuff in the build que was a breeze. It was easy to tell when cities were on the verge of revolting, too.

The bad side of the story was that it had chronic problems in multiplayer- ever get the resynchronization error? And Activision, though it continued to sell the game and make money, dropped support for it. What the heck was up with that?

Say what you might about Sid and his henchmen, but I don't feel that they are going to just leave us in the lurch. It seems to me that they fixed a lot of problems in the last patch (which was released only about two months after the game came out). Given time, we might have something that will satisfy most of us. I think if they just scaled down the corruption, a lot of the grumbling would quiet down (the corruption in the game, not at Firaxis/Infrogrames). Most of us can live with the other things that irritate us, but the corruption level seems to be a big issue with most folks.

Comment

BTW- my personal beef is the pollution. Iam sick of running around cleaning up tiles and wasting time building stuff like recycling center when I want to be building tanks. I remember in CTP, pollution was easy to turn off. I wish I could do so in Civ3.
                            I can't help but feel that pollution has been turned up a notch since Civ2, and all these "green" city improvements are somebody's political message to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Carver
                              I know graphics are a very small part of a strategy game but I can't look at a CTP screen without thinking how cheesey (oh my God I said cheesey) it is in comparison.
                              The CtP graphics are cheesy? Have you seen this person?
                              Attached Files
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                              X