Civ 2 files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 2 files

Is Apolyton still accepting and hosting new files for Civ 2? (scenarios, maps, modpacks, etc)
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

yes
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Well, why is it there have been so few new Civ2 scenarios lately? There used to be tons of them!

Comment

But Apolyton does not accept new CTP2 files if you are using the official add a file form. It is broken, just the requirement tag is missing. But I know it was very hard to post here my CityMod2. Therefore Marcos won't fix it, so that Apolyton won't accept any new CTP2 files, except the ones from me as I have already a version of this form that works. It was not so difficuilt to fix it. But I guess the file that I have to send Markos must be above a certain size so that Markos won't through this mail into the dustbin. As I remember I already submitted some moth ago something. It was sent to Markos successfully. Maybe I should send it to OmniGod I know he has already retired from the CTP2 database management job, but if you believe the CTP2 add a file form it should be send still send to OmniGod although he isn't the CTP2 database manager anymore.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
          yes
          Great - I should have something for you in a few days
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Markos you did something with this CTP2 Add A File Page, but it does not fix the problem. Now I can fill the entire form, but when I do this and press the the Add Resource button, I return to this Add A File Page to fill out it again.

I made a screen capture of the official Add A File Page and one of my own (the version that worked for me). The first two cuts are from your version. You notice that the submission of a new CTP2 file should go to OmniGod. But he already retired from that ACSDB manager job. Therefore he pointed out that any new submissions should go to you Markos, until there will be a new Database Manager. So this should be reflected here.

Another question is what should this stuff here above Title:
            None2.422.622.78MGEToT-->

I took a look on the Civ2 Add A File Page, and therefore I now that this are Civ2 requirements, just the spaces are missing. So with spaces it would look like:

None 2.42 2.62 2.78 MGE ToT -->

The last sign is a comment end sign. I also took a look on the code of this page and notice that the Requirement Tag was just outcommented.

So I decided to help you by giving you detailed advice. Markos to fix it: Open the file that can be found on:

That's the add a file page about I am talking.

Go to line 132 there you find the outcommented code about I talked:

PHP Code:
            <!--                 <tr><td align="right" valign="top">Requirement:</td>
                                <
            td><SELECT NAME="Requirement"  SIZE=1><OPTION>---<OPTION>None<OPTION>2.42<OPTION>2.62<OPTION>2.78<OPTION>MGE<OPTION>ToT</SELECT></td></tr> --> 
            You notice the <!-- and this --> around the code. Remove these signs, to enable the the requirement box. The second step would be to replace the Civ2 requrements by CTP2 ones. So you have to replace this:

PHP Code:
            <OPTION>None<OPTION>2.42<OPTION>2.62<OPTION>2.78<OPTION>MGE<OPTION>ToT</SELECT
            by this

PHP Code:
            <OPTION>None<OPTION>1.1/1.11<OPTION>ModS<OPTION>1.1/1.11 ModS</SELECT
            So we have possible requirements the CTP1 patch version 1.1/1.11 or ModSwapper or the patch and ModSwapper.

To fix the form that people will send the stuff to you and not OmniGod you have to go to line 109 you will find this in this line:

PHP Code:
            <a href="mailto:rsaari@alumni.uwaterloo.ca">Omnigod</a
            I guess you know what to do that people won't send their stuff to OnmiGod but to you.

I made these fixes on my own Add A File Page, and I submitted CityMod2 with it successfully. That was in the last September. If you did not changed something on the server side on the code of some other pages it should work.

-Martin
            Attached Files

Comment

Why I have the feeling that I have to bump this thread every day to make you read this Markos?

-Martin

Comment

i am aware of the problem

it will be "solved" when we move the ctp2 files db to a new script

Comment

any idea when you will be doing that?
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                    any idea when you will be doing that?
                    no, as we have some bigger issues to work on these days. dont know if you noticed, we moved the entire site to a new server and will be moving again soon...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      no, as we have some bigger issues to work on these days. dont know if you noticed, we moved the entire site to a new server and will be moving again soon...
                      sure, you're busy now but that doesn't mean you can't plan for the future

Besides, I think the CtP2 database should have precedence: I've been waiting long enough

-smilies overkill!

Comment

So it wouldn't help me to fill out my own working form and send the stuff to you, You wouldn't post it in the next month.

But anyway thanks for the reply, although it wasn't the answer that I actual wanted.

For the CTP2 DB Manager issure did you emailed DanQ about that issure, from the Apolyton about pages I know that such requests should go to him, officially.

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
                          For the CTP2 DB Manager issure did you emailed DanQ about that issure, from the Apolyton about pages I know that such requests should go to him, officially.
                          What? You mean, if I want to become the CtP1/2 Database Manager I should contact Dan about that? Damn, I've been harassing the wrong guy for all these months

Comment

Em yes. Take a look on this page: http://apolyton.net/about/helper.shtml

There I found the information that if you want to become an Apolyton helper you should contact DanQ for more information about it. Therefore I guess he the right guy for that issure.

But at least it would be worth a trial, as he is the other guy who should be able to give you the right to manage the CTp2 database.

-Martin

Comment

If you see the news item in the 'About' section dated January 6th, you will notice it includes mention of a new file database system that we purchased late last year and is presently undergoing testing.

This process began prior to the server difficulties that began in earnest on December 24th and, as Markos said, is still atop of the list of matters for consideration as our current hosting arrangement is only on a temporary basis (~3-4 weeks worth).

As for our need to "planning for the future", Locutus, I believe both of both of these issues well qualify.

-----------------
                              Dan; Apolyton CS
                              PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Working...
                              X