Downloads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloads?

Is it a side effect of the server move, that currently downloads (e.g from the civ3 creation or files forums) are not possible?
    Blah

there was an error with a file on the server, it was corrected.

beyond that, i can download stuff, but it doesnt give me the correct file name and type
    when renamed and given the right extension, the downloaded file looked ok
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Thanks, works with your method

Yup, all downloads show up as "attachement" but after renaming they can be opened
      Blah

Comment

Markos, do you intend to make the names right. (I have many posts that say that they can't download my files.)
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
          Markos, do you intend to make the names right
          which names?
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Downloading attachments works only probably if you are using Micro$oft Internet €xplorer 4, of course I have to rename the attachment, but this is no problem. But if I use Netscape 4.5 I don't have to rename the file but the file is corrupted, if I use Opera 5 I have to rename the file and the file can't open, either. The same is true for Netscape 6.2. I had the renaming problem already before the server move I didn't test it in M$€I 4 before the move as I don't like this browser.

From my obversations with Netscape 4.5, Netscape 6.2 and Opera 5, I have the feeling that the download runs but it is not finished probably. To get the last bytes these browsers need ages and finally they fail.

-Martin
            Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              which names?
              The downloaded files to get named c3ct0-82-02.zip instead of attachment

Comment

Markos I have still the problem with downloading attachments. Sometimes MSIE fails, too. And I am not the only one who have trouble to download anything.

-Martin

Comment

Have you tried right-clicking on the file links, Martin/Gramphos et. al? Have you tried renaming would-be ZIP files to include the .zip extension as Markos eluded to earlier?

-----------------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS
                  PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                  >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                    Have you tried right-clicking on the file links, Martin/Gramphos et. al? Have you tried renaming would-be ZIP files to include the .zip extension as Markos eluded to earlier?

-----------------
                    Dan; Apolyton CS
                    I can download it, if I rename it. However many people asks me why they can't download the files in my threads in the Civ3 Files forum. So I ask here to get less unimportant posts to reply to there.

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                      I just tried the right click with Netscape 4.5. But without any effect. Actual I have no idea what would be the effect. So I opened a new window I got the download pop up window. In Netscape 4.5 there is no need to rename the file, because this browser shows the correct name at one. After downloading I went to into the Window$ file €plor€r and tried to open the file with WinZip. I got a error message that the archieve was broken or something. At univerty I tried the same procedure on a Linux computer, I wasn't able to open the archieve.

Using Netscape 6.2 I get the download popup window. It says that it will download a file called attachment.php of the type *.php. So I have to copy the file name form the forum page first. In the popup window I have to replace the attachment.php by the real name of this file and I have to change the typ to all files. Than I can download the file with the correct name. But than again if I want to open the file I have to notice that it is corrupted.

I think the procedure for Opera 5 is identical of the procedure by Netscape 6.2 with the same result of a corrupted file.

And now finally the browser that no one should use: Micro$oft Int€rn€t €xplor€r 4. At first you can click on the attachment. You get the download popup window in contrast to Netscape 6.2 you can copy the proper name afterwards you clicked on the attchment. In M$I€ 4 you get a file called attachment no extension although if you take a lock after downloading it it is called attachment.php. Stupid M$ names and the file is also of type attachment although it is of type *.php. Apart from this the procedure us still the same change the type to the proper type and the rename the file by pasting the copied stuff. Now you can download the file and if you have good luck you downloaded the file probably and you can open it without any problems. But this is not true fore every attachment.

I just tried to download an attachment with Get Right and Netscape 4.5 but Get Right did not noticed that this file was a download.

-Martin

Comment

OK I just figured out how to download the attchments with Get Right. To do it open the Get Right configuration. And go there to the submenue General/Monitor.

There you finsd a list of file extensions that will be automaticly downloaded if you click on files of such type. I added to this list .PHP; and now I get the *.php files by rightclicking on them with Get Right but this has a nasty side effect. As the wohle forum is dependend on this *.php files Get Right will start here and there a download if you just want to log in for instance. Therefore I have to disable the *.php access.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                        X