Really Really Really Old Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Really Really Old Threads

Are the really old threads archived/available anywhere? I refer to the days before "Spam" and "DLs", when each of the Civ Series games had their own OTs, and everyone thought CtP was going to be great etc..

I want to reminisce about the old days. Also I want to remind myself of all the old posting styles that people had, including myself. It would also give the newbies an insight into the early days of Poly.

So are the threads from, say, the late summer of '98 lying around anywhere?

*Awaits Stefu's oh so funny comments about vets*

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

*replaces stefu who's late to show up*

Ah, vets (couldn't find a :memories...: smilie )

Comment

I doubt if we have any archive as old as you are inquiring about, Sagacious. There may be some older threads than the ones currently in an Archive offline lying around (I can only speak of my personal archive of said item) but have been deemed to old to restore to being online available at this time.

Sorry to disappoint, folks! We trust, however, that the current Archives are adequate. We have every intention of keeping the Archives online in some capacity for some time to come.

----------------
      Dan; Apolyton CS
      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I want to see the "Im confused" thread again.
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

So, the archives are back up?
          Where can we find them?
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I'm not funny, I'm Finn-y.

Anyway, threads from the good old days (showing how bad the good old days were) would be fun. Imagine, all those naive arguments, spelling errors and ignorant extremists like Joe brought fore! Ya'll newbies don't know what you are missing! Why, when I was but a calvling New Poster, we had to walk 40 miles in freezing snow stark wolloping naked with wolves trying to eat our kniggits just to get to Apolyton!
            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Monty Python sketch....

Originally posted by Stefu
              Why, when I was but a calvling New Poster, we had to walk 40 miles in freezing snow stark wolloping naked with wolves trying to eat our kniggits just to get to Apolyton!
              Oh, you had it luck-ee, when I was but settler we had t'walk 60 mile through snow a't blizzards just to get t'up modem. Then wrestled wit wolves to get t'up kniggets back. Then t'up swim through frozen lakes for 60 miles, just t'up get on 'poly.

Comment

Oh, you had it luck-ee, when I was but settler we had t'walk 60 mile through snow a't blizzards just to get t'up modem. Then wrestled wit wolves to get t'up kniggets back. Then t'up swim through frozen lakes for 60 miles, just t'up get on 'poly.
                Ooo, but when I hadn't even registered yet, that's when it was really bad. We had to crawl naked 100 miles in freezing hailstorm on account of having no legs, and there were not fancy-pants wolves back then, we had to battle enormous mutated plagued rats. Then we had to drop off a cliff and break our neck before sliding 200 miles on ice, and when we got on Apolyton, Ming wouldn't just ban us, he'd come and kill us with chainsaw and sing halleluia if we even glanced at forum! But try to tell that to newbies and they won't believe you.
                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu

Ooo, but when I hadn't even registered yet, that's when it was really bad. We had to crawl naked 100 miles in freezing hailstorm on account of having no legs, and there were not fancy-pants wolves back then, we had to battle enormous mutated plagued rats. Then we had to drop off a cliff and break our neck before sliding 200 miles on ice, and when we got on Apolyton, Ming wouldn't just ban us, he'd come and kill us with chainsaw and sing halleluia if we even glanced at forum! But try to tell that to newbies and they won't believe you.
                  You think thats hard, just you try posting for 28½ years without Poly even existing. We had to offer Ming PCRs just for pleasure of being banned.

Comment

Lucky me I didn't find out about Apolyton before I did, or my Internet bills would have destroyed me.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                      Lucky me I didn't find out about Apolyton before I did, or my Internet bills would have destroyed me.
                      Ah-ha, I just used the university's computer/internet connection.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but what are DLs? And what exactly is defined as "spamming"?
                        Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                        Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

"DLs" is the generally accepted short form for "double logins" which refers to an individual having more than one forum account. For spamming definitions etc., see the Apolyton Forum FAQ.

----------------
                          Dan; Apolyton CS
                          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I lokks at the FAQ, I couldn't see any definition of spamming, just that we weren't allowed to do it.
                            Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                            Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

From the FAQ

spamming(=posting continuous one letter/ word/ phrase/ whatever posts): -20% of post count

As you can see it is a comprehensive definition.

Comment

Working...
                              X