Civ3 vs Empire Earth??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 vs Empire Earth??

Can someone tell me how the two games compare to each other? I would like those to answer who actualy played both. I have only looked at Empire Earth for 5 minutes. I did not like the 3d-graphics characters.

Faffy

i played the demo, and the graphics were scary
    The Civ3 world is one where stealth bombers are unable to sink galleons, Man-O-Wars are a powerful counter to battleships, and knights always come equipped with the AT-S2 Anti-Tank Sword.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.

Comment

Empire Earth sucks. Its graphic will make you feel dizzy real fast.
      ==========================
      www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

I've played both. First, you get used to the 3D units in EE, and you'll probably never use the first-person view anyway, so don't worry too much about that. I have to start with the obvious, of course:

EE is RTS. Civ3 is TBS. However, I assume you like both, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. That said, by far the biggest difference in favor of EE is that you are constatly busy and the AI even on mid-level in the single player game is actually quite strong. They have patterned its play off many of the top players in the RTS world. So you'll see it prefer to attack in force, spread across the map, post scouts at key resources, etc. Very good.

Civ3 on the other hand is still a beta, IMO. While it might be worth your time come the Gold Edition a year from now, if you want to save yourself a lot of frustration and actually enjoy your gaming time, drop Civ3 without question and play EE. It has like over 200 units and tons of techs and some wicked terrain-altering graphics when your voodoo men start conjuring volcanoes and such.
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I have both games. EE is okay but I was a bit disapointed considering how long they worked on it. It is more or less an AOE expansion in many ways.

I like the idea of matching of strength against weakness with combat units and the ability to make formations but either I am a lousy player (very likely) or it is very difficult to organize an attack that is not the typical rush confusion.

In the future eras there are too many units imo and some air units are a bit difficult to manage. I also don't care for the priest magic and time warp junk associated with the cyber units.

Got both of them about the same time and I have played EE very little and CivIII quite a lot.

If I play EE it is campaigns only but since I am primarily a TBS fan my opinion is skewed somewhat.

Comment

I played EE and it looked like CTP?THe NANO age sucks!The fighter jet and bomber was poorly designed,modern age units looked the best!It was a very frustrating RTS!Starcraft needed only 2 resources and WHAT EE NEED SO MANY RESOURCES?It was so complicated?And what the hell custom civ?Why cant u pick an already made civ?Basically as a first time ppl u dont know which one would u choose and if u play an already made civ it can give u some bloody idea at which ability to choose!Empire Earth is ambitious but the graphic dont feel as neat as AOE and it looked quite dark and i dont like that.The graphics looked not so bad on my com because my graphic card is good.To those of u complain that the graphic sucks maybe ur card got probs!Dont care about graphics....The gameplay sucks big time,Civ III was way better even heavily loaded with bugs.EE got lots of bugs too if u realise!
            "The east wind shall prevail the west wind" Mao Tse Tung

Comment

And what the hell custom civ?Why cant u pick an already made civ?Basically as a first time ppl u dont know which one would u choose and if u play an already made civ it can give u some bloody idea at which ability to choose!
              Ummm?
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by Fayadi
                I played EE and it looked like CTP?THe NANO age sucks!The fighter jet and bomber was poorly designed,modern age units looked the best!It was a very frustrating RTS!Starcraft needed only 2 resources and WHAT EE NEED SO MANY RESOURCES?It was so complicated?And what the hell custom civ?Why cant u pick an already made civ?Basically as a first time ppl u dont know which one would u choose and if u play an already made civ it can give u some bloody idea at which ability to choose!Empire Earth is ambitious but the graphic dont feel as neat as AOE and it looked quite dark and i dont like that.The graphics looked not so bad on my com because my graphic card is good.To those of u complain that the graphic sucks maybe ur card got probs!Dont care about graphics....The gameplay sucks big time,Civ III was way better even heavily loaded with bugs.EE got lots of bugs too if u realise!
                First of all, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that English isn't your first language. That being said, if the concept of 5 resources boggles your mind, may I suggest you return the game and play something like Pac-man; there's only one resource in that game and it's shiny and yellow . As far as whether 'first-time people' will figure out the concept of choosing a civ, may I also suggest :dramatic Voice of God (tm): reading the manual. It does a wonderful job of explaining how you may turn on/off custom civs before the game starts. Wow.

In regards of your thinking the graphics od Empire Earth and CtP are the same....well, perhaps you should have your glasses-prescription checked; no wonder you don't care about graphics.
                Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

I bought and have played both.

I stopped playing EE after a day or so. Awesome graphics, great depth, few bugs (I never found any, I just presume that there must be some), and an incredible array of units.

I love the fact that it has futuristic ages and units, wonderful addition.

HOWEVER, I did stop playing it... I didn't like the RTS, I didn't like the level of difficulty, and I was less than impressed with the feeling that the computer was working within a different - more friendly - set of rules than myself.

A sensation that he could just pull units out of no where didn't help either.

Ultimately? EE is Age of Empires with lots of ages and units ... but it lacks something.

Civ3, somehow, has proved far more addictive. Odd, because it was EE that I was *really* looking forward to.
                  Orange and Tangerine Juice. More mellow than an orange, more orangy than a tangerine. It's alot like me, but without all the pulp.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolyana
                    I bought and have played both.

I stopped playing EE after a day or so. Awesome graphics, great depth, few bugs (I never found any, I just presume that there must be some), and an incredible array of units.

I love the fact that it has futuristic ages and units, wonderful addition.

HOWEVER, I did stop playing it... I didn't like the RTS, I didn't like the level of difficulty, and I was less than impressed with the feeling that the computer was working within a different - more friendly - set of rules than myself.

A sensation that he could just pull units out of no where didn't help either.

Ultimately? EE is Age of Empires with lots of ages and units ... but it lacks something.

Civ3, somehow, has proved far more addictive. Odd, because it was EE that I was *really* looking forward to.
                    True, there needs to be some play-balance changes made to the game; the AI recieves some insane bonuses. But if you take a few minutes to tweak them out in the editor, they can be reasonable. My only real gripe is that like, AOE, you may only lose when your LAST unit is killed. This makes it exceedingly frustrating when you must send all your units at the end of the game to 'search and destroy' in order to find that lone caveman hiding somewhere. You can't even make it a trigger in the editor for some reason.
                    I find EE holds my interest much much more than Civ3 now. But then again, RTS is my bread and butter, so to speak.
                    Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

I didnt said EE graphics was the same with CTP.The units concept was about the same forgot to add that.
                      Starcraft has only 2 resources and it was soo fun to play ,everysecond more than 10 000 ppl were online playing at battlenet!Starcraft was more popular than AOE2.Of course a complicated game will be nice,a nice game should have a balance,too complicated isnt good!I know about turn off/on things but why cant we choose an already made civ with abilities like in AOE2?I said the graphics of EE looked not so bad on my com because of my good graphic cards but the already designed units which came from the manufacturer looks poor.
                      I like Civ3 having so many resources in the sense that they were turn based game which looked realistic . But EE is different,it is a rts,a rts that needed so many resources to play looked frustrating, i believe a great rts must look simple to play but has a nice mix of complication like Starcraft
                      Last edited by Fayadi; December 17, 2001, 02:25.
                      "The east wind shall prevail the west wind" Mao Tse Tung

Comment

I didnt said EE graphics was the same with CTP.
                        I played EE and it looked like CTP?
                        Apart from the question mark, these two statements seem rather similar, eh my English-deficient chum?

...everysecond more than 10 000 ppl were online playing at battlenet!
                        Was that before, or after the 20-minute login time, only to find that the server has reached it's maximum capacity? Battle.net was like early-days AOL.

I know about turn off/on things but why cant we choose an already made civ with abilities like in AOE2?
                        If you knew about turn on/off things, you'd have noticed the little radio button that allows you to turn Custom Civs on and off in the game setup screen.

Can we let this OT discussion die now please Mr(s). Fayadi?

Comment

Originally posted by yin26

Civ3 on the other hand is still a beta, IMO. While it might be worth your time come the Gold Edition a year from now, if you want to save yourself a lot of frustration and actually enjoy your gaming time, drop Civ3 without question and play EE.
                          Oh, you mean like how Diablo II was a beta when released, and it's only with the expansion pack that they finally got the gameplay balanced.
                          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Originally posted by N. Machiavelli

True, there needs to be some play-balance changes made to the game; the AI recieves some insane bonuses. But if you take a few minutes to tweak them out in the editor, they can be reasonable. My only real gripe is that like, AOE, you may only lose when your LAST unit is killed. This makes it exceedingly frustrating when you must send all your units at the end of the game to 'search and destroy' in order to find that lone caveman hiding somewhere. You can't even make it a trigger in the editor for some reason.
                            That means according to Yin's definitions, EE is a beta, too
                            Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                            ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

FB,

Stop picking on poor Yin

I think he has an exceptionally high standard for Firaxis/Sid that that doesn't apply to any other company/developer.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X