Apolyton -- Changing Our History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton -- Changing Our History

Ok, I suppose you could interpret the title in a lot of different ways, but this is actually gonna be a complaint on my part.

I have to protest about the way that Apolyton changes location and rank in every past post when you change it. For instance, when I go from Chieftan to Warlord, it says in all my past posts that I am Warlord. Also, when I was in "The Old Dominion" (a.k.a. Dixieland, a.k.a. Virginia) and change it to Seoul, Korea, then, in all my past posts, it seems to show that I have always been living in Seoul, Korea.

I think it's kinda cool to see when a person changes locations, &c, &c...... it's kinda like a person's history at Apolyton...but instead, Apolyton, like Big Brother, changes our history....

This is only a minor complaint, of course (and I honestly don't care much about the changing of rank). I like the way Apolyton runs and everything, I just thought I'd voice my opinion on this matter (and see if anyone else is in concurrence).
    No Information Provided

how about you put all that info in your sig?

Comment

You could always put both locations in your field... Or post in your sig that prior to date ___ you were a Settler
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

DC weren't you an Emperor last time I saw you. Did MtG give you a 10% PCR for that "I'm an Emperor" thread?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

re: Apolyton -- Changing Our History

changing your signature is retroactive also.
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
            DC weren't you an Emperor last time I saw you. Did MtG give you a 10% PCR for that "I'm an Emperor" thread?
            yeah, he got busted for it, but only 5%. ming said he was real sorry about it

Comment

This will require an indefinite amount of storage for what amounts to be chrome.

The easiest way to do this is to store the title and location fields as part of the message. This takes up the most storage space but imposes the least amount of work on the system.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

IIRC the old UBB system stored at least signatures, possibly other information, too, with the messages... One of my first thoughts when we moved to vB was: "OMG, won't it take ages to query all those sigs and locations fields and etc. every time you load a message?"
                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

That 5% was ill deserved!
                  The post had content!
                  And it was in the OT!

-
                  At least without storing the old information, the forum can load faster
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I agree DC, that was a bit harsh...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

What a nonsense! Post count threads have been forbidden for years now, and that also applies for self-called scientists and statistic makers

Comment

Thank you PH.

Andz- the thing about the thread was that it was NOT just Post Counts- Oh, yes, I WAS bragging- but I was also asking about new list ideas! That is why I was mystified with the PCR and everyone asking for me to get a PCR???? I even posted in the thread why the thread was not spam.

Yes, I was bragging- yes I admit that- but that was not the main point of the thread, it was the point of the title, but most of the writing was about ideas for new lists??? I have done that before and no one has complained.
                        -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Originally posted by LightEning
                          IIRC the old UBB system stored at least signatures, possibly other information, too, with the messages... One of my first thoughts when we moved to vB was: "OMG, won't it take ages to query all those sigs and locations fields and etc. every time you load a message?"
                          Probably not. Info of active users needs only to be retrieved once from the database. It can then be stored in either memory or scratch files.
                          Last edited by Urban Ranger; December 18, 2001, 08:12.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                          X