Why are avatars disabled???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are avatars disabled???

I was trying to set up an avatar for myself, but it says the administrator has disabled avatars. why is this? will they enabled again soon?

For some reason, they slow the server to a crawl during high usage.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

so they only disabled it cause of high usage? you mean when the server is not busy i'll be able to set up an avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by ElitePersian
        so they only disabled it cause of high usage? you mean when the server is not busy i'll be able to set up an avatar?
        When is the server "not busy"?

But seriously, you can only get the avatar, when Mark or Dan enables them again...

Comment

if the last time they turned avatars off is any indication, it'l be january or febuary before they get turned on again.

but that probably won't happen, there should be less users on now than when civ3 came out

Comment

will they notify us when they are enabled again?

do you think that i should try to contact either mark or dan?

Comment

I don't think that's necessary. MarkG was probably the one who turned the avatars off.
              "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
              Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
              Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
              Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

ok so u think they'll notify us when they are enabled again?

Comment

Originally posted by ElitePersian
                  ok so u think they'll notify us when they are enabled again?
                  Yes. That's what happened before.

Of course, I suspect that the reason we lost the avatars was because an Infogrames lobby pushed MarkG to turn the avatars off since some users started to use an avatar saying "Infogreed"!
                  "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                  Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                  Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                  Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

If the avatars are off to perk up performance, it doesn't seem to have helped much.
                    "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
                    --

Comment

actually the sites been running pretty smoothly since avatars dissappeared.

the thing is, the site was running fine for a while even with avatars enabled. the reason it went bad, probably, was that all the people who have never had an avatar, got one, it was just too much work for the server.

therefore i propose, make avatars available only to warlords and up.

Comment

another incentive to go for extra post counts is the lastthing we need !!
                        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                          but that probably won't happen, there should be less users on now than when civ3 came out

I think the patch anouncement sparked another flood - that is around the time when they got disabled again, wasn't it?
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot

Yes. That's what happened before.

Of course, I suspect that the reason we lost the avatars was because an Infogrames lobby pushed MarkG to turn the avatars off since some users started to use an avatar saying "Infogreed"!
                            now who would do something like that?

besides, isn't a C&DO more Infogreed's style?
                            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Cease and Desist order, like the one infogreed sent to those people in germany who were making a patch for civ3 that made the language german

Comment

Working...
                              X