Block Guests or no avatars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block Guests or no avatars

This is ridiculus, the forums are so slow right now, either we need to block the guests browsing the boards or get rid of avatars. Right now their are more guests than members!

i vote to block the guests, if they really want to see whats happening, let them register.
    Ban guests
    39.47%
    Get rid of avatars
    60.53%

Lose the avatars until they can be fully supported by an upgraded server.

Else just block anyone under Prince.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Make avatars only available for King and up

Comment

I would rather lose the avatars- the guests may not contribute much, but they do visit the site and may buy tshirts...
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Zopper
          Make avatars only available for King and up
          the spamming would be rampant....

and.....i'm.......so......close.......

keep the avatars, siro made a cool one for me
          Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

neither, i detect no slowdown in page loading
            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I'd say avatars should go if necessary. But right now its ok, just annoying
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

We are actively monitoring the situation. For those of you experiencing a slowdown, we apologize for the inconvenience. However, it is still a little early to be certain that the slowdowns you are experiencing are directly related in whole or in part to the restoration of avatars in the forums especially given the said slowdown is apparently not affecting all users. It may simply be a coincidence and it may also only be temporary.

To determine where the slowdown is if you are experiencing one, run several traceroutes at different times of the day where possible by typing "tracert apolyton.net" at an MS-DOS prompt (I am not certain what the equivalent is on machines running Mac/Linux etc.) and feel free to email them to both Markos and myself should you feel that your hypothesis was correct.

----------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

its not slow for me anymore, but i was having 2 minute load times earlier today. and judging by how many were posting in the OT earlier today, so was everyone else.

Comment

i also didn't notice any abnormal slowness during the day either

Comment

I vote for banana

I have not noticed any slowdowns - I don't think that either of the options should be disabled.

DISABLE THE POST COUNTERS TO REDUCE SPAMMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Oh my goodness...

Today has been absolutely horrible! I have been trying to get on Apolyton for about an hour now... I managed to get to the forums page :

But then every attempt to get into an actual forum was futile. Of interest here is that when I cued up IE to see if that was better.... VIOLA! No slowdown whatsoever, quite fast actually...
                        No need to flame, but yes, I am on aol.

I had thought it could have been things like this:

But I guess that isn't the case. I was going to suggest banning guests on the forums, and then even perhaps a post count minimum to be able to view the CivIII forum. The slowdown that I have been experiencing has been so great that these were viable options to be thinking about. But if this is not the case, I wonder what can be done? Oh well, IE for viewing Apolyton is okay by me for the time being.

-FMK.

Comment

looks like the majority vote ruled, avatars are gone again

Comment

majority rule

MarkDanGQ aren't going to block guests

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard
                              majority rule

MarkDanGQ aren't going to block guests
                              But they do ban members. Perhaps a large scale blocking policy should be instigated.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X