FIRAXIS: Now a 'Fluff' developer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRAXIS: Now a 'Fluff' developer?

Working off of my review in which I used an 'Expectation Scale' to help makes sense of why some people like Civ3 so much and others are actually angry, something has hit me:

It's Firaxis itself that seems to have changed. Let me explain.

Gettysburg and SMAC were great (and rather serious) games. Sure, I had problems 'getting into' SMAC, and the infinite range missle issue caused me headaches, but I immediately recognized both games as serious efforts made for serious gamers. Gettysburg simply awed me with its brilliant use of terrain and morale / leaders.

Now Brian Reynolds has left (along with some other key talent), and look at what's being developed:

1) A Golf Sim that, even if it makes millions, belongs on the shelf next to Redneck Bowling and Goat Cart Racing. It's a cheap hack (a knock-off modeled --stolen with permission?-- from the King of Pop Garbage, Will Wright). Don't get me wrong, the masses need to be kept occupied by such drivel. I *want* the masses kept busy, so this is a kind of public service I guess.

I just never thought Sid would go in that direction.

2) A Civ3 game that actually goes BACKWARDS in the tech tree and, IMO, overall seriousness. And what I mean by seriousness is that things like combat and diplomacy and unit management (including workers) actually REWARD mediocre play and mindless clicking. Units that are a few AGES out of date are still competive: This rewards mediocity. 200 units or more can only be moved one at a time at a time at a time at a time at a time at a time at a time at a time at a time at a time (<---typing that was just as fun as mid to late game Civ3). This rewards mindless clicking. Firaxis clearly did not have a serious gamer in mind when making Civ3. They made fluff.

I just never thought Sid would go in that direction.

I won't even begin to go into their choice of publishers and the fact that they let Infogrames bully Civ fans in the name of Firaxis' copyright. And I won't even begin to go into how Firaxis' PR has gotten worse -- as if such a thing were possible.

But all this spells out very clearly: Serious gamers should give up on Firaxis. They are NOT a serious gaming house dedicated to serious games for serious gamers. If you want deep games and solid support from the developer, move on: Nothing to see here but a car wreck (which, I agree, has its own twisted attraction).

They no doubt realize that it's just easier to make sub-par games for a mass market with little ability or desire to ask for more. I can't blame Sid too much, I guess. He's earned his right to milk (again and again and again and again, I guess) great games of the past, even if some of those were NOT his creation to begin with. (Colonization, Civ2 and SMAC were all Brian Reynolds' games)

Now that I realize Firaxis is targetting the Deer Hunter and Who Wants to Be A Millionaire crowd, it all makes sense.
    Last edited by yin26; December 3, 2001, 03:11.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Tech Progression More or Less Capped at 4 Turns: Rewards mediocrity.

Silly Pasty-Faced Bobbing Leader Heads: Rewards the mindless eye candy crowd.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Lack of True Modding Ability: Spits in the serious gamers' face.

Lack of MP: See Above.

Comment

Yin Im *****ing as much as you

But give it a rest. Markos Gestapo should be here shortly (he's sleeping now I bet).

Oh yes and.......go get EU2 asap

Comment

Limited Edition Fails to Deliver What Was Advertised: Spit on serious gamers' faces and then stomp on said face.

Comment

This is a serious discussion for serious gamers. Let's see if it gets locked.

Comment

I'd have to agree with most of that, but tech 4 turn cap is a special way for Firaxis to cover up the poor AI (see * for more support on the poor AI)

One thing Firaxis does have going for them is a nice, pretty looking website that sits there with useless updates (oh wait they don't even seem to be having many useless updates anymore either, Nov 23 was their last update).

Yin, I too, have come to a realization. Looking at all the marvelous work people around this forum have done with the game in such a short amount of time and little tools to work with, makes me think what could be done if open source code was given out or at least an extensive editor (what we were promised, btw). The thing is Firaxis is/was scared on what would happen if that was given out (the game might actually turn into Civ3 instead of being Civ2.5, but just with more flaws).

To get off of the 'knock Firaxis horse' I will be honest here and say that with the right downloads (Korn's Blitz mod, Snoopy's graphics, and other cool graphic changes) from Civ3 Files section Civ3 is a pretty good game. In fact I will encourage people to buy Civ3 now, of course I will also mention that a few downloads will have to be made for the game following the purchase for the game to become 'pretty good'.

*My biggest grief with the game so far (as I have stated numerous times) has been the constant AI expansion that is unbeneficial. Expansion is great as long as it is beneficial. Most of the time the AI would be more beneficial concentrating on city improvements instead (they do build wonders, though).

Sorry for the excessive edits and paranthesis.
              Last edited by TechWins; December 3, 2001, 03:41.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

No, this is a dark time in history.

Gentlemen, we are witnessing the end of Civilization (tm.)

Comment

LOL! Catchy! Well, I'm just relieved I figured out the source of my angst!

Comment

Ahem... "King of Pop Garbage, Will Wright"? Even if you don't like Maxis games, I believe Will Wright doesn't belong anywhere NEAR a comparison with Firaxis.

For better or worse, Maxis and Will Wright have always experimented with all sorts of concepts that haven't been done before, instead of becoming fixed on making yet another reincarnation of a franchise game. Whether you like The Sims or not, it was a radically new game. Aimed at keeping the masses busy or not, the point is that they could have made Sim City 4000, 5000 and 6000 instead, if they just wanted to milk a franchise. They didn't. They took a risk with a game that everyone thought won't sell, until they actually had a prototype.

And even when they do milk The Sims, it's in the form of expansion packs that add a _lot_ of content for a reasonably low price. Frankly, any of The Sims expansion packs adds more new content than Civ 3 brings, and they cost less than half the price. And again, they never claimed to be more than an expansion pack for die hard fans. There's something, you know, HONEST in admitting it's just an expansion pack, instead of claiming it's "more Civ than ever."

Plus, they've given a lot of content for free even to people who don't want to buy expansion packs. There were all sorts of skin packs, item packs and so on, released every week for free for a long while. (It seems to have slowed down lately, though.)

Comment

You don't really think that firaxis doesn't release the source because there scared of somebody going better do you??

Comment

True, Maxis gives the massed good support. That I applaud. And Will did go off and do things people told him would fail. I admire that.
                        I believe Will Wright doesn't belong anywhere NEAR a comparison with Firaxis.
                        Hmmm, you do know how Sim Golf was made, right?

Comment

Deer Hunter kicks ass. Who has never dreamed of killing Bambi?

and yes I agree, although I think you are exaggerrating things a bit. Civ3 isn't that bad, yet. But imagine how bad civ4 will be

Comment

and what 4 turn cap are you talking about? I have got techs in 3 turns before- this was in my very first game on chieftan level. Haven't got that since, but in the harder levels it is very difficult to get enough science to even apprach 3 turns (impossible to get copernicus' etc)

Comment

Tech Progression "More or Less" Capped at 4 Turns
                              And nobody told me Bambi makes a cameo in Deer Hunter!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X