PC games vs. Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC games vs. Console

I'm really confused. I prefer Pc games especially the Civ type turn based games. (absolutely hate real-time). I haven't bought a console system since Sega Genesis.

But, here's the thing, I haven't heard about any real problems with Console games. I don't know if PC games are more complecated or that it is absolutely imperative that a console game be bug free.

So, why do PC games constantly get shipped Buggy? Why won't publishers and designers get it right the first time. Look at Activision, they screwed up so royally, they left the computer business. If they had released their products with as much care as console games wewould all be happy. Afterall, a working bug free game makes more money in the long run, Happy customers means more sales, Right?

So, why rush Civ III, of course there will be gamers who will only play the game, but what about all the other hard core players who are always striving to keep the game alive. ex. This forum and site as a place to keep it alive and well. a community that creates maps and mods and tweaks to make it a better game for all. like Civ II for example, If it had not been for the all the great modders, I don't think all the add ons and semi-sequals (like MP gold or TOT) who of been made and sold.

So, the big question is: WHY UPSETTHE PEOPLE WHO KEEP YOU IN BUSINESS WITH INCOMPLETE OR SHODDY WORK (as some have said a step backwards)?

FLASH
    Flash
    Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
    the Moderator of the World Creators

Console games sell MANY more copies than PC games. They can therefore afford to take a LOT longer getting most of the bugs out (especially important, since buggy console games cannot be patched!).

Unfortunately, PC game develeopers know they can patch their games, so they are less disturbed about releasing a game a bit early...

In fact, if the PC game developers were to spend an extra three months getting bugs out, you would of course get the game three months later. If you think that's better (some people want games as soon as possible, warts and all), then fine. If not, wait until the patch comes out, and THEN buy it. It's your choice - a choice which console users don't have.

Incidentally, if you think console games don't have ANY bugs, you're living in cloud cookoo land. See, for example, this:

Comment

There are also too many diffrent PC configerations for PC game makers to make a game that would work on everyones computer. Where as Console game makers only have to worry about one set of systems specs.
      Just a thought
      " Conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the essentials of patriotism." - Emma Goldman

William Seward Burroughs
      February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.

Comment

Re: PC games vs. Console

Originally posted by Flash
        Why won't publishers and designers get it right the first time. Look at Activision, they screwed up so royally, they left the computer business. If they had released their products with as much care as console games wewould all be happy.
        Huh? Since when did Activision leave the computer business and what did they screw up on?

<looks at www.activision.com > Hmm, on the main page I see over half the titles are available on a PC...how's that leaving the business? Actually the truth is Console games make more money, so many big companies have migrated over to Console.

If everyone had the exact same system, then PC games would be easier to develop. But, you've got to program for dozens of video cards, sound cards, processors, internet connections, and mother boards. On top of that you have to test on a limited number out of hundreds of combinations of the above hardware in addition to hunting game play bugs. Add to the additional costs to develop with the lower sales of PC games, and you've got the reason many companies are focusing more on console games.

PC does have a great choice of games, but Advance Wars is an awesome turn based strategy only available on the Gameboy Advance--so don't discount all games based on generalities.

Comment

Originally posted by Blisterz
          There are also too many diffrent PC configerations for PC game makers to make a game that would work on everyones computer. Where as Console game makers only have to worry about one set of systems specs.
          what he said
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Why did Civ3 release early: Christmas. This is huge. Don't let people like Yin confuse you by poo-pooing it. Christmas makes the world go roaund for toys.

Comment

GodSpawn,
              Like I said, I haven't bought many console games My brother does. It is just I haven't heard many complaints about bugs, not that there aren't any.

BlightCrawler,
              Activision got so many complaints about CTP2 that they gave up on it. Sales also tanked do partially to bad press. It has great potential yes, but needs help. Their next game also supposedly tanks.
              There were reports after both PC games failed to meet expectations that Activision was giving up on futher PC games development and were concentrating on console markets.
              MarkG will have to correct me.

Personally, I liked CTP2, I too wished it had been completely fixed and certain features added like the space layer added back, but thats life.

Flash
              Flash
              Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
              the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

Once upon a time, games rarely got patched, and if they did it was usually a good 6 or more months after the game was released.

Fast forward to today, and we have the Internet which enables PC game companies to simply upload them and for gamers to download them.

The question is whether or not PC companies are starting to get lazy for this very reason - that if a game needs patching they can just chuck on patches online as often as they want, whenever they want.

Food for thought.

Comment

Yes, but when you patch a game, you're spending money without getting a a tangible return on your work. In fact you lose money through Opportunity cost as well.

I'd say patching + internet has been overall better for gaming.
                  I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                  New faces...Strange places,
                  Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                  -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

As another poster pointed out, console games don't have to deal with almost an infinite number of configurations, they only need to worry about one. Another thing is console games write directly to the hardware instead of through the OS, in this case they don't have to worry about the low quality of work that went into Windoze.

Just like computer games in the good old days. They all dealt with a limited number of configurations, and they all wrote directly to hardware. Most of them were stable and rarely had problems.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                    X