No announcement yet.

FAQ: STATUS And AVAILIABILITY Of The FORUMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Markos are there any technical solutions (software) to put 1000+ users on the forums? (i.e. if money were not an issue)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      you mean in terms of forum software? there is nothing better than vbulletin at this price
      Of course, but what's the next step up?

Comment

Can I find the archived posts somewhere? Or are they out of the picture at the movement?
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by GP
          Markos are there any technical solutions (software) to put 1000+ users on the forums? (i.e. if money were not an issue)
          yes, we would hire someone to make vbulletin support postgres or even better(since money would not be an issue) oracle
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

from what has been done on the [H]ard|OCP vbulletin forums, which handle around 800 users during peak hours and have over 30,000 registered users, I would suggest a few things:

1. Disable e-mail notification of replies
            2. Daily archive obsolete posts
            3. Limit the number of smilies to 5-6
            4. Make the PM boxes smaller, if necessary disable pm's ocasionally in times of high load.
            5. Take the forum offline for about an hour every day and clean it up...

Hardocp has a paid technician to do this for them every day, so I don't know how possible this is for apoly... only thing I know is, Hardocp has handled fast growth and maintained quality and speed.
            "There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
              Can I find the archived posts somewhere? Or are they out of the picture at the movement?
              for now they are not accessible from anywhere

aeturneus, a link?

Comment

for now they are not accessible from anywhere
                Do you plan to make then assessable later (along with the old archive?)

And in that case: Are you going to make it fixed HTML, not generated with fixed colors and posts/page to avoid DB-use?

Comment

"There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte

Visit the Tradewars 2002 Forum

Comment

yes, we would hire someone to make vbulletin support postgres or even better(since money would not be an issue) oracle
                    I mean the "next step", Markos

"vbulletin support postgres" is cheaper than oracle? How much does each cost and how many users do they support.

Are there any 1000+ forums? And how do they operate?

Comment

How much of a performance increase does the server get from disabling the "ratings?"
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                        How much of a performance increase does the server get from disabling the "ratings?"
                        you mean thread ratings? we havent disabled them

Comment

or even better(since money would not be an issue) oracle
                          Or....... even better: Lotus Domino !
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Have you archived more posts today?

IIRC there were 30000 posts in the Civ3-general yesterday, but now it only is 23000 posts.

Comment

I mostly agree with atearneus.

<B>1. Disable e-mail notification of replies</B>

This would work, I personaly don't like them, and I'm sure most people don't like them either. I turn them off anyway

2. Daily archive obsolete posts

I don't know about daily, it seems like to much sometimes I don't come here for two days

3. Limit the number of smilies to 5-6

I don't think so, I use more than five smilies sometimes

I really don't like it when you close OT since it's the only forum I go to , now that I've stopped playing computer games. So please try to keep OT open.

Comment

Oh well at least the forums are working now That is good
                                -->Visit CGN!
                                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                                X