This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with the recent down-time

1. I would be very interested to learn what the cause of the recent down-time was. (If it's not all top secret and all.)

2. If the downtime was to reconfigure the servers to support the forums, I have one comment. Why not put the rest of the site down and leave the forums up. (i.e. reconfigure the other things around the forums.) Before Mark laughs or others decide this is a troll. Think about this: What is the horse that pulls the GS wagon? IT'S THE APOLYTON FORUMS. In that case, it makes a lot of sense to put othere things down and keep the forums up. (If possible of course.) The only reason I say this, is that I think that GS/Mark and Dan may not be thinking in these terms.

I'd also like to know why you've disabled so many forum features, after previously saying you wouldn't. Problems?
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

jusgt for reference... was the logged user list on the main forum page removed?
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

AFAIK, yes. And the Avatars.
        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I think the best solution is to put the Poly forums and Poly on seperate servers. Give the forums their own server (Many sites do this, including Anandtech.com and other major forum sites).

www.apolyton.net points to this existing server.
          forums.apolyton.net would point to the forums server.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

And if the forums were on their own, hardware requirements would not be as great, perhaps a 2000 USD low end server could cope? Perhaps with only one PIII 800 1 gb SDRAM or similar?
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I'm willing to bet the forums use up the biggest bulk of CPU usage, actually.

They're powered by MySQL, so it's gotta do a ton of database queries each time you view a page.

The actual webhosting itself doesn't take too much power for the rest of the site.
              Last edited by Asher; November 9, 2001, 19:47.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

How do UBB and VBB differ? In terms of server usage? and MySQL usage?

Comment

when my pages finish loading i get an error message.... so i have to stop before they fully load???
                  I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

I have no problems with suspension of some features if that allows the forums to move along.

Originally posted by GP
                    How do UBB and VBB differ? In terms of server usage? and MySQL usage?
                    uBB uses Perl scripts to generate the pages, while vBB uses PHP to generate the pages with mySQL as the database. Perl looks like line noise to those who don't know it. Or rather, even to those who know it

Bringing down the rest of the site except for the forums won't work. If they were doing hardware they needed to shut down the whole server. If they were slotting in newer/faster versions of http server (Apache) or mySQL they'd need to shut down these programs.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar the Great
                      when my pages finish loading i get an error message.... so i have to stop before they fully load???
                      1. What is the error message?
                      2. Did it prevent the page from being displayed?
                      3. What browser and OS were you using?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

A full announcement is forthcoming -- it is being worked on at the moment and will be posted when it is complete. Thank you for your patience.

<I>I'd also like to know why you've disabled so many forum features, after previously saying you wouldn't.</I>

Snapcase: circumstances change that sometimes force us to re-evaluate our practices. Please see the "Open Letter from ACS Admin" dated November 6th -- it addresses some of these issues.

---------------
                        Dan; Apolyton CS
                        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                          X