No announcement yet.

This is rediculous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you consider installing TUX, the kernel space web server which holds all the web server performance records?
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Does TUX support PHP?

I think what Poly needs is a multithreaded web server.

Try Apache 2.0 or (gasp) IIS.

And also replace those P3 933s with dual P3 1.2GHz Xeons (with the extra cache and whatnot).
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

dp
        Last edited by Asher; November 6, 2001, 18:44.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Too expensive, that's wasting good resources.

What they can do is to grab a couple more servers and build a LVS cluster farm. I think running AthlonMP 1800+ will be faster and cheaper than going the Xeon route.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Thue
            Did you consider installing TUX, the kernel space web server which holds all the web server performance records?
            My guess is the backend (MySQL+PHP) that's eating up most of the CPU cycles.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              Too expensive, that's wasting good resources.

What they can do is to grab a couple more servers and build a LVS cluster farm. I think running AthlonMP 1800+ will be faster and cheaper than going the Xeon route.
              I disagree...in fact, the 1800+ is $261 on Pricewatch, and the P3 is $260. And the P3 has double the full-speed L2 cache, which makes a big difference on servers for speed. And you don't have to buy registered RAM and big, special power supplies for the P3 like you do for the Athlon MP.

Who knows -- either would be good.

Comment

<I>Dan, was this a way of telling us that you are leaving the day-to-day [operations] at Gamestats?</I>

johndmuller:

I resigned as Director of Operations of GameStats last month, effective November 1st.

As per technical recommendations, the best avenue to take is to send them directly to Tony Bolger and Leo Campione directly (Director of Technology and Director of Operations (Interim) and President/CEO respectively) -- their email addresses are listed on GameStats' website.

----------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Does TUX support PHP?

I think what Poly needs is a multithreaded web server.

Try Apache 2.0 or (gasp) IIS.

And also replace those P3 933s with dual P3 1.2GHz Xeons (with the extra cache and whatnot).
                  Tux only serves static content. But it can pass on dynamic content to apache. But serving half the content much faster through tux would be worth it.
                  http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Working...
                  X