Poor solution to server issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny
    If you want to see "spam" just check out Rasputin's contribution to this very forum. Nice troll, by the way.
    Thanks BB !! We aim too please !!!
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Well Bugs,

Back in the day there was no OT. This was a Civ site pure and simple.

One of the main reasons, if not THE most important one, for creating the OT section, was to get all the spam out of the On Topic areas, where people could talk about Civ in "clean" threads.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Hm. Provost Harrison is worse than Rasputin in the spam area.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It’s different in my memory Derek, there used to be so many off-topic debates in the general civ2 forum (and a lot of those debates were serious) that they decided to give at a separate forum. I’m not recalling much of spam in the other forums and neither do I remember anti-spam policies. (except of that shockingly traumatic event in which Markos deleted the Mongolia Bashing threads)
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
            Perhaps temporarily disable some of the optional demands on bandwidth, such as avatars, signatures, rate threads? Heck, that last one could go permenantly without many posters missing it.
            This, and dare I suggest it, diasble smilies.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

You mean we leave people reliant on mere words?

Good move. However, why suggest that the inhabitants obtain a rudimentary grasp of the written word and lose their pretty pictures when you can just pull the plug on a sizeable and entertaining part of the site?
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I disagree, Bugs. 80% of information is passed via non-verbal channels between persons. Smilies is just a small effort to make up for some of that lost info. Besides, Smilies essentially take no bandwidth at all after they are cached locally by your browser.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                  It’s different in my memory Derek, there used to be so many off-topic debates in the general civ2 forum (and a lot of those debates were serious) that they decided to give at a separate forum. I’m not recalling much of spam in the other forums and neither do I remember anti-spam policies. (except of that shockingly traumatic event in which Markos deleted the Mongolia Bashing threads)
                  We are saying the same thing.

In my mind, back then, the off topic debates were the same nuisance to a thread as spam is. They would pretty much destroy the topic and lead it off into some direction...
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Assmask

Please Drake, if you can't handle a fun forum
                    Making a dl so you can talk to another dl which was made by a dl is the pinnacle of sophistication I suppose.

I had hopes that ffz wouldnt just turn into a hangout for post count freaks and dl's, but these hopes quickly dissolved.

Argumentative is part of what a forum is about and yes, sometimes people will have strong opinions heaven forbid.

Because you would rather use your time doing your dl and spam thing than have a debate about something relevant doesnt bother me.....thats your thing. But it isn't mine, and I'll be happy to give this opinion.

I only posted this because of the suggestion that ffz could become the new ot hangout.......I was saying why I felt that it's a totally in-appropriate subsitute.
                    I see the world through bloodshot eyes
                    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

Over 400 guests a bit ago.....couldnt get in for half an hour....

Gotta love it!

Oh well, they'll all be gone soon enough, maybe I should just be patient.

Comment

How can you accuse such a sophisticated and well-educated person of being a spammer, UR?

And drake, we don't want to get cynical now do we?

BTW, FFZ is about as useful a place as CGN was... small community, a maximum of 5 regular users, Asher being the centre of it all.... just doesn't make a lot of sense to me personally, I'd rather keep at Poly or try CGN another time... oh CGN, those were the days

Before the kick-out that is (orange - )

Comment

How can you accuse such a sophisticated and well-educated person of being a spammer, UR?

And drake, we don't want to get cynical now do we?

BTW, FFZ is about as useful a place as CGN was... small community, a maximum of 5 regular users, Asher being the centre of it all.... just doesn't make a lot of sense to me personally, I'd rather keep at Poly or try CGN another time... oh CGN, those were the days

Before the kick-out that is (orange - )

Comment

I'm not the center of it all on FFZ.

Take a look at the top posters.

In fact, I've only posted a few times this week in total because of my workload.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

c) disallowing guest (non-registered user) access to the CivIII forums.
                              Thank you dan.........I guess my idea wasn't so bad after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X