A question for any Brits out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for any Brits out there

I am axiously waiting for my copy of Civ3 and obviously it has my mind wandering. I started thinking about great civilizations and what it was that made them great. Everyone knows the old saying that in the height of Britian's Empire, the sun never set on British soil. Though, Great Britian's territories aren't as far stretched as they once were, she is still a world power today. I am curious though about a few things.

1) What is the relation with Canada and Britian today? The Queen still appears on Canadian coins, but Canada is it's own country correct? I mean what does Britian gain from Canada if anything? Is this the same for the other countries that used to be British states like Australia, the Bahamas etc?

2) What is Great Britian's territory today? Is it just the British Isles? Where does Britian get it's natural resources? It doesn't seem their could be much in Britian. In other words, it is easy to see where America gets its wealth. Great Britian itself is such a small place, but it is very wealthy.

3) What was that Falkland thing all about? Such small little islands. Was it just a matter of not wanting to be pushed around, or do those islands have some value to them?

Sorry for the questions, I am just looking for ways to pass time until Civ3 gets here.

Thank you

Re: A question for any Brits out there

Originally posted by The Rook
    I am axiously waiting for my copy of Civ3 and obviously it has my mind wandering. I started thinking about great civilizations and what it was that made them great. Everyone knows the old saying that in the height of Britian's Empire, the sun never set on British soil. Though, Great Britian's territories aren't as far stretched as they once were, she is still a world power today. I am curious though about a few things.

1) What is the relation with Canada and Britian today? The Queen still appears on Canadian coins, but Canada is it's own country correct? I mean what does Britian gain from Canada if anything? Is this the same for the other countries that used to be British states like Australia, the Bahamas etc?

2) What is Great Britian's territory today? Is it just the British Isles? Where does Britian get it's natural resources? It doesn't seem their could be much in Britian. In other words, it is easy to see where America gets its wealth. Great Britian itself is such a small place, but it is very wealthy.

3) What was that Falkland thing all about? Such small little islands. Was it just a matter of not wanting to be pushed around, or do those islands have some value to them?

Sorry for the questions, I am just looking for ways to pass time until Civ3 gets here.

Thank you
    This has to be a wind-up!
    'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

It's quite funny.

In Canada the Queen's Birthday is a public holiday.

But it isn't here.
      Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

What was that Falkland thing all about? Such small little islands. Was it just a matter of not wanting to be pushed around, or do those islands have some value to them?
        I was only born in the same year as the Falklands attack thing. Anyway: the British believe in self-determination for the old colonies wherever possible. The Falkland Islanders wanted to remain a british colony, so we defended them from Argentina. They want to stay with us...so why shouldn't we defend them.

If they wanted to be independent, or belong to Argentina, a simple vote is all it takes.

You might like to look at the recent example of Hong Kong. We won't keep colonies if we're not wanted and needed.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

In other words, it is easy to see where America gets its wealth. Great Britian itself is such a small place, but it is very wealthy.

Invisible goods, tertiary and quarternery industries, Financial institutions, insurance etc....
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

+1

Your welcome

Comment

is this reaaly the place for this ???
                GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Re: +1

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                  Your welcome
                  I don't think you will get away with stuff like this for a long time...

Comment

out of the mouths of babes

Originally posted by Ecthelion

I don't think you will get away with stuff like this for a long time...
                    speaking from experience are you Eth !!!!
                    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

well, last time I made a post with "+1" as post subject, I got 1,000 posts chopped off my PC

Comment

Does anyone really care about post-count these days? With all the draconian rules about post count, it is just a tool for certain members of this forum to feel superior to everyone else.... so who cares? And since the OT doesn't count any more, there are many great psters who don't have many 'posts'. Feel free to drop me back to 'Settler'....

Comment

Oh well, it is all a question of the viewpoint... I, for example, am famous for being utterly indifferent about post count, whereas Rasputin is known as the biggest spammer and flooder in favor of post count on the board....

I basically agree with Rogan Josh. Once we had a poll about abolishing post counts. I voted for abolition.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                            well, last time I made a post with "+1" as post subject, I got 1,000 posts chopped off my PC
                            But I am not notorius.

Comment

I'm sorry?

Comment

Working...
                              X